Heat Commander Blower Questions / Confusion

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

sleewok

Jan 27, 2021
USA
In a different thread I read that the HC will turn on the blower based on the plenum temperature. Is that correct? I believe it monitor temps in the firebox, the baffles? And the plenum.

Here is my confusion... Scenario: Heat is unavailable based on the led and the thermostat is calling for heat. When I have a few coals left and do a reload the blower kicks on almost immediately. At this point the plenum is not even warm. This doesn't seem right.

If I let it continue to run the plenum struggles for a while to get up to temp (which results in lower supply temps) and the blower will run much longer. To keep this from happening I have to turn off the thermostat until the HC gets hot (I usually wait until it kicks on the blower to cool itself off the first time).

It seems like my blower is kicking on way too early. How can I determine if there is something wrong?

I appreciate any insight to this!

Lee

If theres a call for heat it's around 125 on and 100 off. Otherwise if the demand is met for the home, the blower will kick on around 185 or so to remove the excess heat.

I can load with a few coals and within a couple minutes have hot air coming from the registers. If your furnace is struggling to get up to temperature is sounds like the wood isn't seasoned. From the sounds of everything, the furnace is operating normally. If your wood isn't quite seasoned, you may want to reload on a hotter bed of coals. Also check that you have adequate draft.

If theres a call for heat it's around 125 on and 100 off. Otherwise if the demand is met for the home, the blower will kick on around 185 or so to remove the excess heat.

I can load with a few coals and within a couple minutes have hot air coming from the registers. If your furnace is struggling to get up to temperature is sounds like the wood isn't seasoned. From the sounds of everything, the furnace is operating normally. If your wood isn't quite seasoned, you may want to reload on a hotter bed of coals. Also check that you have adequate draft.
I'll verify temperatures using my IR camera. The wood is seasoned, but I'll be sure to check it on the next few reloads.

I came down this morning and the green light was on to call for heat, but the blower was off. I did a hot reload and the blower decided to come on within a couple minutes during the reload when the door was wide open with no flames yet. I had to manually turn the thermostat off. Again, no indication that the HC was up to temperature while it was running the fan.

Is yours new enough to have the latest programming update in it already? I know I read some of the earlier ones had an update that was needed...you would have to talk to SBI to see for sure I suppose...

What’s the harm with the blower being on or coming on as you reload?

What’s the harm with the blower being on or coming on as you reload?
I don't think it is?
For some people that is enough to draw smoke out of the firebox though...

The earlier firmware didn't shut off the blower when reloading, the newest for sure does shut the blower off for a couple minutes.
Some high-temp black silicone calk around the joints at the front of the furnace also helps eliminate air flow around the door.

I sometimes wonder if the temperatures that turn on the blower and light up the green reload button are independent. Sometimes one will be on but not the other.

Eric

The earlier firmware didn't shut off the blower when reloading, the newest for sure does shut the blower off for a couple minutes.
Some high-temp black silicone calk around the joints at the front of the furnace also helps eliminate air flow around the door.

I sometimes wonder if the temperatures that turn on the blower and light up the green reload button are independent. Sometimes one will be on but not the other.

Eric
Yeah, that's what I'm wondering about. The green light isn't always on and the blower will run. I believe I have the newer firmware because pressing the button for a reload will stop the blower if it is running.

It doesn't pull smoke when the blower kicks on, but I do have a fresh air intake which helps quite a bit with that.

Good idea with sealing the joins around the furnace. I'm going to seal the plenum and body of the furnace with some clear high temp caulk that I have.

There's plenty of time to reload before the blower kicks in. I actually appreciate the idea that the furnace can almost be out but the blower running. It's stripping BTUs for the home. The light has nothing to do with the blower. The temperature of the plenum and call for heat is what affects the blower.