Heat + cook stove for small cabin?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Perdido

Nov 24, 2008
Southern Indiana
Hi all, I'm trying to pick a stove for a small cabin I'm fixing up. The cabin is a very old one-room house, 12 x 24', uninsulated clapboard with tin roof on piled rock foundation. I intend to install cold water plumbing and a wood stove for heat *and* cooking/water heating purposes. Since space is limited I will likely install a walled-off half bath in one corner, place the stove in the middle of the back wall, and simply place a tub near it for easy pouring or siphoning.

I heat another home with a 2006 no-frills CFM steel box. I love it for heat, but it does not get hot enough to cook or boil water on. For the cabin, I've thought about a small cookstove or a cast iron multipurpose, possibly even POS non-EPA Vogelzang if that's what fits the bill. Would prefer EPA certified stove but must have something that will cook and heat and don't want to spend too much $$. Any suggestions?

I may decide to insultate the cabin if there's a simple solution besides foam.

The Jotul 602 has a hot plate on the top for cooking. Morso 2B should work as well. Both can be found used. Or you might look at the Napoleon 1150 cookstove? All will be overkill for 288 sq ft.

Thanks, BeGreen. I've drooled over the Napolean, but would rather not put that much money into this project if I can find a practical alternative. The 602 seems the obvious choice, but I'm afraid the surface are won't be adequate for the amount of cooking and water heating I'd want to do. Still considering small cookstove or less efficient cast iron model. I know the square footage is small but the tiny firebox and short burn times also do not appeal.

I picked up a Heartland Sweetheart on craigslist for $1000. New price is $4600. This stove has a hot water reservoir with spigot, plus you can fit it with a water jacket (replaces firebrick) plumbed to your hot water tank. Maybe too pricey, but an option. I think manufacturer says it will also heat up to 1800 SF, but from what I've heard, that is a real stretch.

Lehman's in NE Ohio carries several cook/wood stoves. Might want to check out their web page for some ideas.

www.lehmans.com

Attachments

• IMG_2144.JPG
    IMG_2144.JPG
    68.4 KB · Views: 598
Status
Not open for further replies.