Wood Stove Clearance Assistance

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

indymoose

Nov 30, 2023
Indianapolis, Indiana
Hello:

I recently purchased a home with a small 1940's fireplace. I would like to install an EPA wood stove for supplementary heat in winter and for "emergencies" as our power goes out a couple of times a year for a few days at a time.

I think I will have to install an insert instead because of clearance problems. I have read seemingly countless posts here about wood stove clearances, both inside and outside fireplaces, but wanted to confirm that my options are limited to inserts. I cannot seem to find a stove that would work. The fireplace dimensions are below.

If I find a stove, is installation a realistic DIY project? Chimney companies seem to only install products they carry. I would limit my work to installing the stove itself and would hire a chimney company to make all necessary repairs and preparations, such as installing a liner and top hat connector/register plate and making all necessary repairs. I would hire someone to inspect my installation.

For what it's worth, here are the reasons I wanted to install a stove instead of an insert:
  1. I am not happy with the look of available inserts, particularly since my options are limited to what chimney companies carry. I see a lot of "victorian" fireplaces from the U.K. that are tiled with a wood stove installed and prefer the look.
  2. The benefits of an insert would seem to be outweighed by the fact that power is required for a blower. If the power goes out, I lose this benefit. I also do not want the sound of a blower. That being said, the fireplace is well-situated on an interior wall near the bedrooms. Does this mean that heat would radiate efficiently without a blower?
  3. Inserts seem to be more expensive.
  4. I mentioned that our power goes out frequently. We have an electric range for cooking. I would like a wood stove that would allow us to heat water and even cook very basic meals. This is not absolutely necessary, but would be nice to have.
IMG_6082 - Copy - Copy.png

Hello:

I recently purchased a home with a small 1940's fireplace. I would like to install an EPA wood stove for supplementary heat in winter and for "emergencies" as our power goes out a couple of times a year for a few days at a time.

I think I will have to install an insert instead because of clearance problems. I have read seemingly countless posts here about wood stove clearances, both inside and outside fireplaces, but wanted to confirm that my options are limited to inserts. I cannot seem to find a stove that would work. The fireplace dimensions are below.

If I find a stove, is installation a realistic DIY project? Chimney companies seem to only install products they carry. I would limit my work to installing the stove itself and would hire a chimney company to make all necessary repairs and preparations, such as installing a liner and top hat connector/register plate and making all necessary repairs. I would hire someone to inspect my installation.

For what it's worth, here are the reasons I wanted to install a stove instead of an insert:
  1. I am not happy with the look of available inserts, particularly since my options are limited to what chimney companies carry. I see a lot of "victorian" fireplaces from the U.K. that are tiled with a wood stove installed and prefer the look.
  2. The benefits of an insert would seem to be outweighed by the fact that power is required for a blower. If the power goes out, I lose this benefit. I also do not want the sound of a blower. That being said, the fireplace is well-situated on an interior wall near the bedrooms. Does this mean that heat would radiate efficiently without a blower?
  3. Inserts seem to be more expensive.
  4. I mentioned that our power goes out frequently. We have an electric range for cooking. I would like a wood stove that would allow us to heat water and even cook very basic meals. This is not absolutely necessary, but would be nice to have.
View attachment 326247
you can look at Vermont castings . they have stoves that rear vent

Reactions: indymoose
you can look at Vermont castings . they have stoves that rear vent
Thanks jjam. The biggest clearance issue seems to be the height. Does a rear vented wood stove reduce height clearance requirements? Or is it unlikely that I could find a stove that would fit within the hearth and would need to buy a stove that sits out on the hearth extension?

Thanks jjam. The biggest clearance issue seems to be the height. Does a rear vented wood stove reduce height clearance requirements? Or is it unlikely that I could find a stove that would fit within the hearth and would need to buy a stove that sits out on the hearth extension?
no stove will fit with this mantel it's just to low, the mantel can be replaced with a non combustible mantel then you fine ,,like Dracme or others

Some stoves have a short leg option to reduce the rear-vent flue collar height. Jotul has this option for several of their stoves.