Heat-N-Glo 550TR-IPI-D Low blue flame - can’t find air shutter adj.

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

DeltaRomeo

Feb 20, 2022
Washington State
Hello,

I have a Heat-N-Glo 550TR-IPI-D that works fine, but the flame is low and blue. I’ve gone through the manual and can’t find the air shutter adjustment any where in the manual or the unit.

manual link

Page 51 of the manual refers to where it should be set to and lists figure 12.15 which isn’t in the pdf. Maybe it’s obvious and I’m overlooking it?

any one know what I might be missing? Thank you!

Look at the top of the valve cavity for a wing nut tight against that surface. Loosen it a couple of turns you should be able to move the threaded shaft in the slot that it fits in. One direction will open it, the other direction will close it. You will have to determine which direction is which, but if your flames are blue, the shutter is all the way open. Move it to the middle position & wait about 20 minutes for the flames to normalize. If you need further adjustments, wait til the unit cools & move the shaft in the same direction in small increments, until you like what you see.

Look at the top of the valve cavity for a wing nut tight against that surface. Loosen it a couple of turns you should be able to move the threaded shaft in the slot that it fits in. One direction will open it, the other direction will close it. You will have to determine which direction is which, but if your flames are blue, the shutter is all the way open. Move it to the middle position & wait about 20 minutes for the flames to normalize. If you need further adjustments, wait til the unit cools & move the shaft in the same direction in small increments, until you like what you see.
That’s the issue. There isnt anything that looks like a slider at all. I’ve gone through the bottom valve cavity, the top on the unit and gone through the inside with a mirror and looked under the burner. I just don’t see it.

Trying to post pictures.

AED54820-5486-49DE-B7CD-EE7C586AB10F.jpeg 49975AF3-479C-44C2-90DB-7FCE7D374580.jpeg

Wow. I don’t see it either, but it shouldn’t be too far from where the gas feed to the burner penetrates the top of the valve cavity.

If that is the burner you have in your unit, you will need to remove it to make a shutter adjustment. There should be two 1/4” drive zip screws at each end of the burner. If you can’t access those screws, post a pic of the inside of the firebox for us to look at.