Heat N Glo blower temp switch

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Dustin

Minister of Fire
Sep 3, 2008
Western Oregon
Howdy,

I just moved into a house with a heat N Glo fireplace that runs on propane (I seriously miss my wood stove!)

Anyway, it's here, and it kind of works so we'll use it as long as propane is cheap I think.

06ba113b288d0b979c4b2916b4ae44ae.jpg

My question is, the blows has the snap disk style temp switch. I hate these things, and would like to bypass it. Does anyone know if the switch is low voltage or high voltage? Is it okay to bypass them? Anyone ever done it? It doesn't seem to be constant, I guess I could just replace it as well..

barmstrong2 got it at 120VAC. Not really any advantage to bypassing them.

Like Daksy says. If you were having to manually switch it on and off you would appreciate that snap disc.

Thanks for the info guys. Makes sense.

I guess the issue is it takes about 45 mins to turn on, and then only runs for a short period of time.

Probably time to replace the snap disk? I hear tell they can go bad

Either the snap disc is bad or not contacting the metal firebox well enough. I have also seen where the disc was replaced with a incorrect temperature rating. If you run it with your burner set on low and the fan on high you can get these symptoms as well

Make sure it is in direct contact with the firebox.
If it isn't, air being drawn in can pass between the disk
& the firebox & lower the temperature of the disk,
causing it to open. That will deactivate the blower.

Status
Not open for further replies.