Heat n Glo I35F High Pitched Whine/Squeal

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Pearsonweb

Dec 30, 2015
Bloomfield MI
We love our new Heat n Glo i35 Gas insert fireplace. However, the fan on medium has developed a high-pitched whine/squeal lately that happens often, but not always. I found a similar thread here from 2014 where the fix involved screws and sheet metal in the back housing of the unit. I'm posting my own thread because I'm not sure if ours is the same problem since it is intermittent.

Here's a short video that displays the issue. You'll have to turn up your speakers a bit to hear it well:
https://youtu.be/08I99JqtVTs

Our HeatnGlo Fireplace insert model Escape i35F was installed in early December. We are very happy overall with the custom design, installation, and operation of the unit. However, 2 weeks after installation, the fan developed an intermittent high pitched whine/squeal when run on medium and on high. It is enough to be quite noticeable and impossible to ignore. I say intermittent to mean that it doesn't happen all the time. For instance, right now the fan is on medium and does not exhibit the noise. Last night, it did have the noise - and continued to have it for over 2 hours. We finally gave up and put the fan on 'low' as the unit is practically silent on the low setting. We like to run the fan at medium which produces a nice output of heat with a (normally) tolerable amount of noise - except when this whine decides to make an appearance. If you have any ideas or suggestions on what to do to rectify this, please let me know. I'll be contacting my installer/dealer soon and will let you know what how they respond.

Get your installers back, & show them the video...That is DEFINITELTY a warranty issue.
Could be the bearings. Could be a bent axle, causing the blades to rub against the housing as they turn faster.
Doesn't sound (to me anyway) like it's a harmonic, but you could try repositioning the blower if you
can get at it easily. Sometimes they will cause the sheet metal to vibrate if it is in contact with the blower housing.
That Squeal makes it seem like it's a mechanical issue.

I have an older H&G, that used to make a similar noise. It was something about how the fan was sitting in the box caused a whine. A few minor taps, and it would stop whining right away. The noise came back a couple times, and I tapped it out again. The fan must've found its happy place because it has not made a peep in about 3-4 seasons.

Thanks to those who have commented. The fan no longer emits this sound as is back to normal in all modes of operation. My dealer says they will warranty out the fan and a service tech will in in touch with me. They have been very customer service friendly and I can recommend them if you live in Southeastern Michigan (Fireside Hearth and Home - Royal Oak). My concern is that its no longer making the sound - do I really want them taking it apart again and reassembling it? I've read stories where similar circumstances the tech has disrupted something else or jostled some wires or something else unexpected. I'd rather leave it alone if I can/should? Or should I definitely have the fan replaced under warranty?

I would, especially when dealing with a reputable company.
If something goes wrong with the new one or the unit itself,
due to the service call, you will still be covered under warranty.

Status
Not open for further replies.