Heat n Glo Supreme i30C, flame rectification problem?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Didymus21

Dec 26, 2014
United States
After the initial 9 hour break in period with my new insert, I've been having problems with the main burner lighting up. The pilot lights fine and is a good blue color. However, the pilot just clicks and clicks and clicks until I turn it off after 60 seconds or so. Yet, if I try it again in an hour or so the main burner will turn on within 5 seconds. Once on it burns fine and I have no issues. I was thinking maybe it could be a supply issue, but if I have my furnace running and all the burners on my stovetop, the insert never turns off or has a decrease in flame (nor any of the other appliances). Today I took a video of the problem, and then something new happened. It stuttered trying to start, and then eventually went on with almost all blue flame. However, after running about 60 seconds or so it returned to more of the expected orange flame. I'm attaching a video showing the issue as described. Any ideas? Lately, now the main burner won't ignite at all. Gas meter is 250 cfu on 0.5".

P.S. If you notice the flames die down at the end of the video, that's because I had flame height set at lowest level....but I believe it starts on highest level on start up.

Hm...
Most flame rectification problems are caused by a loose ground connection.
It's usually a wire from the flame sensor that is attached to a zipscrew thru the bottom of the valve cavity.
I'd start there.

Hm...
Most flame rectification problems are caused by a loose ground connection.
It's usually a wire from the flame sensor that is attached to a zipscrew thru the bottom of the valve cavity.
I'd start there.
Hm, short of unscrewing the flame sensor/pilot assembly, from what I can see underneath the unit the ground screw appears to be tightly screwed down.

OK. Check the sensor itself. Is the wire OK at that end. Secure?
Is the metal rod in the top of the rectification sensor fully engulfed in the pilot flame?

It's got to be the sensor. Maybe the wire has a break in it. Brand new means you get repairs under warranty.
Call your hearth shop.

It's got to be the sensor. Maybe the wire has a break in it. Brand new means you get repairs under warranty.
Call your hearth shop.
Thanks. I was hoping to get it working again before our dinner party tonight. Looks like that won't happen. I got in touch with them, waiting for call back after they review the video.

Status
Not open for further replies.