Heat on second floor

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

hokiefan

Hearth Supporter
Feb 2, 2010
southeastern va
Here is my set up.
Outdoor wood boiler ( home made works well) plumbed to heat exchanger in main trunk line for first floor hvac, works well use blower on gaspack to move air through water to air heat exchanger for heat.
I have a taco 007 pump circulating my water about 75 feet to house from wood boiler. I have 1 inch pex lines.
I would like to add lines for my second floor heat pump to heat my upstairs with the boiler ( currently using heat pump).
What size pump will overcome the rise I need to get to the unit ( in my attic) about 35 ft from ground level.
Can I tee into my exsisting lines and add a pump there or should I replace my 007 with a larger pump and circulate the whole system?
Thought about adding pump and switching it with a relay off thermostat when second floor unit called for heat.
Currently I circulate continuously with the 007 taco pump, will a 009 pump do the job and overcome the rise and circulate ALL through the whole system?
Thoughts on check valves on lines to second floor?
I enjoy reading all posts on this site and have gained lots of knowledge on different systems and would appreciate any info you have to give.
Thanks a lot!

Status
Not open for further replies.