Heat output from Regency CI1250

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Been watching the forum for months before I purchased an insert for my home. What a great resource this site is, and I thank you for all the useful information that you all post on here.

Had a Regency CI1250 installed professional on Monday Feb 24th. I wanted enough heat for the 400 sq ft. room its in and some supplemental heat for the next level of my 4 level back split home (insert is on third level, so there is two levels above insert).

I asked the installer to put a blocking plate in and some Roxul in above the smoke shelf and up into the chimney to stop the heat from going up the chimney, but he said that code would not allow for a blocking plate against the liner and because of the design, the roxul would likely fall down and give off a smell. He did install a lot of roxul in the top of the chimney. Should I try installing from roxul above the smoke shelf and see what happens. I'd like to see more heat out of this unit. Thoughts?

I questioned if I was not burning dry enough wood, so I purchased a bag of kiln dried wood to ensure that I was burning dry wood, but the heat output is not as high as I expected. Another reason I did this was that I was getting alot of smoke from the chimney after burning for 20 mins with the damper wide open and the firebox good and hot. The kiln dried wood did not reduce the smoke much. Thoughts?

I have been burning non-stop from Feb 24th till now (Feb 26, morning). It's been quiet cold this week, 5F at night and 10F in the day.

Last edited:
Been watching the forum for months before I purchased an insert for my home. What a great resource this site is, and I thank you for all the useful information that you all post on here.

Had a Regency CI1250 installed professional on Monday Feb 24th. I wanted enough heat for the 400 sq ft. room its in and some supplemental heat for the next level of my 4 level back split home (insert is on third level, so there is two levels above insert).

I asked the installer to put a blocking plate in and some Roxul in above the smoke shelf and up into the chimney to stop the heat from going up the chimney, but he said that code would not allow for a blocking plate against the liner and because of the design, the roxul would likely fall down and give off a smell. He did install a lot of roxul in the top of the chimney. Should I try installing from roxul above the smoke shelf and see what happens. I'd like to see more heat out of this unit. Thoughts?

I questioned if I was not burning dry enough wood, so I purchased a bag of kiln dried wood to ensure that I was burning dry wood, but the heat output is not as high as I expected. Another reason I did this was that I was getting alot of smoke from the chimney after burning for 20 mins with the damper wide open and the firebox good and hot. The kiln dried wood did not reduce the smoke much. Thoughts?

I have been burning non-stop from Feb 24th till now (Feb 26, morning). It's been quiet cold this week, 5F at night and 10F in the day.

Should also add that I purchased some compressed logs for safe use in high efficiency units to try as well as the kiln dried wood and they produced smoke as well. Then the fire is burning at half damper, the back tube it lite, but I have yet to see the front tube light. The dealer is to return my call at some point, as the individual that answer the phone, agreed that something didn't sound right.

Hi Turbo, welcome !

Are you turning on the blower on the CI1250? That unit, operating correctly should easily heat 400 square feet and some other areas of your home, but having the blower on is a must.

For comparison, I have a Regency i2400, which is similar to yours but has a larger firebox. When I am running it, it is doing most heating the upper levels of my side-split home, approx 1400 square feet, in similar weather to what you are reporting (I am in Mississauga.)

I should also add that I DO NOT have a block-off plate. I plan on installing one in the spring.

Bens_igloo, thanks for the welcome!

I've got it half full of kiln dried wood right now, and the damper is fully close, and there is a lot of flames in the firebox, but a huge amount of smoke out the chimney.

The blower is on high all the time, getting good heat at the moment, but the smoke out the chimney is very odd from everything I've seen on videos and read about high efficiency unit....shouldn't happen with super dry wood (not tested, but kiln dried and very light in weight)

Time will tell.

Just for yuks turn the blower on low and see if the smoke clears up.

PS: this is grey lingering smoke and not white steam vapors, right?

GetInline.aspx

It looks grey. I'll try the low blower for a bit, thanks!!

No image for me.

Begreen, thanks for your help thus far.

Do you think it's possible that I'm trying to build to large a fire, ie to much wood and pieces to large for this insert? I've been putting in 4-6" pieces. I'm going to moisture test the wood, but I'm puzzled that the kiln dried wood it still producing so much smoke.

If the wood is truly dry, it shouldn't produce any white vapour correct?

I don't think the front tube is working correctly, thoughts?

White vapor is normal when it's cold outside. There's still 20% moisture left in the wood.

Status
Not open for further replies.