Heat powered fan for fireplace

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Anyone know of a heat powered fan that works on a flush insert? Power went out 2 days ago and without a fan I am looking into possibilities.
I can't think.of any way one would work. They don't move much air at all anyway. I doubt it would do much more than running without any blower

They do not move much air so do not expect a warm breeze in the room.
I had seen a list a while back and this one was rated best.
Voda fan
If you could take the surround off the insert you may have enough room to put this fan on the top. It looks to be about 10 inches tall.
You may want to look at this thread:

You could get one of those harbor freight $99 tailgater generators and just throw a cord through a window for the blower

Or a battery and inverter. Or just run it without the blower

I have the Voda fans. The base of the fan is 5 1/2 x 3 inches and it’s 8 1/2 inches tall. They help move the air around my stove pipe.

Truthfully, a generator or small battery bank would be your best bet for moving actual usable quantities of air. If you want a small breeze, there are various thermoelectric and small stirling fans, though with the flush insert, you might be hard pressed to find a hot surface to run the fan... especially one 'hot enough' to generate usable power. The top of my insert gets 'just' hot enough to make a free breeze fan spin, but no real usable air... more like one of those kinetic sculptures.

You might look at a stand-alone fan. I bought one of these a few years ago. Reproduction of a Jost Radio fan. Has its own alcohol/kerosene burner and does produce a modest breeze under full fire. They were cheaper back then. For the price now, you could just buy a modest generator and run fans, computers, fridge, freezer, etc!

hot air fan.jpg