heat sensor on Osburn blower how to override

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

firewatcher

Nov 10, 2006
New Jersey
I bought my Osburn 2200 Bay insert in August. However, lately it appears that my blower is not going on in a timely fashion, Right now it is at a stove top temp of 450F for over an hour and it is still not going on. As you know the blower really kicks th heat out. Can I override the sensor? Is it difficult to do? Can you walk me through it? Should I get a replacement from the manufacturer? Is it worth it?

Thanks guys.

When does it normally come on?
Maybe the sensor is bad?
Maybe the sensor is not mounted or where it should be ?

I think I have read about the same problem with the Osburn in another thread, can't remember which one. I have the same insert that I installed a little over a week ago. My fan does come on at a much lower stove top temp, I haven't paid attention to exactly when it comes on, but I would guess it's between 350 and 400 measured on the top right corner of the cook top.

UNplug the stove's electrical connection.

locate the sensor ( usually a metal disk, quarter sized) it will have 2 wires going to it.

simply connect the 2 wires, make a jumper, something safe ( this will be 120Volts AC when you plug the stove back in)

the sensor is simply a switch that closes the circuit when it gets near a preset temp.
wires together = closed switch.

Same thing happens to me if I leave it on a high setting----all I did was turn it off for a few minutes to 're-set' it and it was fine. Now I turn it down lower when I know the fire's going to burn down.

It usually goes on around 350 to 400F. However, lately it has been between 400 and 450F. Maybe, I will jump that wire like you said....

it never came on after 3 hours, I loaded it up with wood and went to work. However, I fired it up when I got home from work and when I lit the fire, the blower came on at around 375F.

Sounds like it reset itself. Yes?

I don't have a stove top thermometer, but this morning just coals left, blower off. tossed 4 splits of oak and elm on..in 10 minutes of wide open air, blower kicked on. That was at 7:30...it's 9:00 now and blower still going.

Warren said:

I don't have a stove top thermometer, but this morning just coals left, blower off. tossed 4 splits of oak and elm on..in 10 minutes of wide open air, blower kicked on. That was at 7:30...it's 9:00 now and blower still going.

Yeah , But Warren ........ your hot air is always blowing !

:lol: J/K buddy ;-)

I don't think my blower ever turns itself off. The blower comes on just fine, but if I leave it on overnight, it's still blowing in the morning with just a small amount of coals in the bottom of the box and top temp 100 or lower.

Roospike said:
Warren said:

Yeah , But Warren ........ your hot air is always blowing !

:lol: J/K buddy ;-)

:roll: hooo brother.. Why do I feel like I walked into that one?

Status
Not open for further replies.