Heat shield advice

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Good point. It looks like this will be a question of whether the stove is positioned right at the edge of the concrete platform or inboard a bit. However, even if right at the edge there would still need to be ember protection for the floor 12+ in. below. The other thing to consider if this is going to be a 24/7 heater is the lack of an ashlip. This will be a messy operation without one. If the ash falls on the floor it will get tracked around the room.
Yes, I was planning on putting in steel ember guard on the floor of the hole under the stove and extending 16 inches into the room.

was there a model with legs? Under stove requirements are different than the hearth. One could probably make the under stove R value but not the hearth R value unless the “H” is is 12 inches. Then the hearth only needs ember protection. Look again at the diagrams posted above. Seems like at 3.5 inches you still need R=0.54 hearth protection in front of stove.
There is an optional 16 inch tall pedestal with built in wood storage that goes under but I opted not to get it because the overall design had wood storage below the concrete… it’s a good point though on the r value for the 3-5 inches of concrete that I would probably have in front of the stove if I go the stand route…