Heat transfer from chimney cavity

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

AusTom

Apr 17, 2019
Australia
Hi,

I have installed a insert/inbuilt fireplace with 6" chimney into the old open fireplace with brick chimney. The fireplace gets hot and has a fan however does not really heat the whole house and I think a lot of heat is missed due to the chimney not being exposed and only the face of the fireplace allowing radiant heat.

I would like to access the heat trapped between the flue and brick cavity. I was planning on drilling out 2 bricks in the roof cavity section of the brick chimney and vent this to the bedrooms using a inline duct fan. I would like to know if there is any issues with this? can it suck smoke at all? how hot would I expect this to get? is existing creosote in the brick chimney harmful?

I was planning on checking the temperature before installing fans etc. but I am planning on using a high temp fan, fire proof duct and a filter box.

any experience in this area is greatly appreciated, where to get a kit like this?

Thanks a lot,

Tom

That is not a safe plan. A better approach would be to install an insulated block off plate above the insert and if there is room, insulated the fireplace walls behind and on the sides of the insert. That will help the insert output more heat.

The other issue is heat distribution. To better assist you with that issue can you post a simple sketch of the 1st and 2nd floor plans?