Heat transfer through tin tile ceiling

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

SpaceBus

Minister of Fire
Nov 18, 2018
Downeast Maine
My wife and I really want to put tin tile on the ceiling on our first floor, but are unsure of how the wood stove performance will be affected. Will tin tiles on the ceiling prevent heat from going up stairs? Is there any other reason it wouldn't worn well with a wood stove? The ceiling drywall is really bad and we don't have the ability to fix it well. We aren't drywall contractors, so the tin tile will look nice and cover the bad stuff.

The heat more than likely will not travel though the tin into the ceiling and floors above but will still continue up the stairs and any other openings you have between the floors.. Drywall is fairly easy to repair with the proper tools.. When doing drywall i always use a concrete trowel its nice and long and does a great job of putting up a thin flat layer. If your drywall is failing due to underlying causes then that will have to be repaired and if its been damaged by water it will have to be removed or it will grow mold

The heat more than likely will not travel though the tin into the ceiling and floors above but will still continue up the stairs and any other openings you have between the floors.. Drywall is fairly easy to repair with the proper tools.. When doing drywall i always use a concrete trowel its nice and long and does a great job of putting up a thin flat layer. If your drywall is failing due to underlying causes then that will have to be repaired and if its been damaged by water it will have to be removed or it will grow mold

The seams are the real issue. We also just don't like the look of drywall ceilings. Do you think the faux tin tiles would transfer heat better? Our house has a narrow staircase, but it does allow some heat to move upstairs.The chimney is a brick with masonry liner and runs though the bedroom above and then into the roof, and that does help a lot.

I think an unpainted tin ceiling will be an effective radiant barrier. It'll reflect heat down from the ceiling.

Reactions: Easy Livin’ 3000
Its likely that most of the heat transferred upstairs is doing so by convection - hot air flowing either up stairways or through leaks between floors. Heat moving upstairs via radiation and conduction would have to pass through the ceiling drywall, flooring, joists, and the airspace between - not a great setup for heat transfer.
The metal ceiling probably won't make much difference.
You can install vents between floors to let the hot air flow upwards but these should include fire dampers to prevent fast fire spreading.

Last edited:
Reactions: SpaceBus