Heat Zone Starter Pipe

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Will43

Nov 7, 2021
Angel Fire, NM
I have installed a Pioneer 2C from Quadrafire and am only getting tepid (80F) air out of the heat zone kits. Both ducts are ~9 feet in length. It makes no difference if I operate only one kit and turn off the main blower. Temperature of the air out of the fireplace is 160 deg F so this is plenty hot for the room but there is no heat making its way to the HZ registers. A representative from Quadrafire says their appliances are only "decorative". Really?

Anyway, here is my question. Since the b vent run is less than 10 feet, I installed both sections of starter pipe. Yes, the insulation was removed. What will happen if I cut the starter tubes shorter and reinstall? Will allow more heat to be pulled to the HZ blowers?

The current duct temps (outer wall of the B vent) is only warm to the touch within 12 inches from the fireplace exit on the top of the unit. This pipe has a service temp of 400 deg F so it is no where near its limit. The fireplace is not closed in yet and I have about another week to figure this out. Any help is appreciated. Attached pic of the install.

IMG_8798.JPG

Im unsure what your trying to cut shorter? the actual elbow that is attached to the outside jacket of the stove or the actual run near the register.

There is a "starter" pipe, see pic that fits down inside the air space between the firebox and the outside of the unit. The starter pipe is approx 30 inches long. There is a shelf inside that is 32 inches from the top of the unit. So, there is a 2 inch space between the shelf and the inlet of the pipe. The pipe is in 2 16 inch sections. I removed one 16 inch section and the air draw is much better but not sure it it will be hotter.

Starter pipe.JPG IMG_8821.jpg IMG_8825.jpg

Will43,
Did you cut the starter pipe down to 16" and get better results?

Im really struggling with installing HZ kit on my Constitution install in the coming months. I will need to force air down into basement turn it 90 degrees then run it about 10', turn it up 90 and outlet it to floor register I will cut into my kitchen floor. I can't go through the wall due to kithchen cabinets.

Will I get decent heat or is it not worth the effort? This is my struggle

Will43,
Did you cut the starter pipe down to 16" and get better results?

Im really struggling with installing HZ kit on my Constitution install in the coming months. I will need to force air down into basement turn it 90 degrees then run it about 10', turn it up 90 and outlet it to floor register I will cut into my kitchen floor. I can't go through the wall due to kithchen cabinets.

Will I get decent heat or is it not worth the effort? This is my struggle
The four 90º turns in the duct path will offer a lot of resistance. The results would likely be anemic.

I can’t see a cut down pipe helping much with air temperature. Once the system gets up to temperature, the shorter pipe really won’t make a difference. Cutting it down might lower the drag, giving you a little higher CFM.

The big thing I see is you’re modifying a device that holds fire and was certified as safe in it’s as made condition. The insurance company could really make your life miserable if something happens and they find out you modified a box that you’re lighting a big fire in.

Looking at the "starter pipe". If that is dropping low into the heated cavity I don't see how you will get real heat off the bottom part of the cavity. Heat rises, draw in the bottom and out the top.

If the entire cavity is hot, the air going into the pipe should be hot.

We don’t know what temperature the OP was running the fireplace at.