Heatform Heroes- Help!

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Cestus

Sep 29, 2021
Southern MD
Hello stranger,
I was hoping I could get some advice from you.
We have a 1930's house, poor insulation. ~1000sqft

Our goal is to get a Vermont Castings Defiant, use the rear vent to go back and up the chimney. The Defiant looks like it requires a minimum 26" height for the flue to clear, 28" tall in all.
We have a rusty heatform with holes and the like and an entrance that is 25" tall.
In a perfect world the end result is a faceless Inglenook-y look.

My questions for ya:

Can we remove the whole first layer veneer/face from top to bottom?
-It would make removal easier and it would increase the height of the opening for the rear flue vent to actually fit. The brick facing does not seem to extend into the roof.

How is terra cotta supported in a chimney? Will it collapse if I remove the heatform?
If I remove the heatform should firebrick/masonry be added even if the stove is properly distanced?
We are already insured for an insert. If all work is to code and passes a Tier II inspection will it likely be a non-issue?

I appreciate any help and advice.

IMG_20210929_132956786.jpg IMG_20210929_132910239.jpg IMG_20210929_132923198.jpg

Hello stranger,
I was hoping I could get some advice from you.
We have a 1930's house, poor insulation. ~1000sqft

Our goal is to get a Vermont Castings Defiant, use the rear vent to go back and up the chimney. The Defiant looks like it requires a minimum 26" height for the flue to clear, 28" tall in all.
We have a rusty heatform with holes and the like and an entrance that is 25" tall.
In a perfect world the end result is a faceless Inglenook-y look.

My questions for ya:

Can we remove the whole first layer veneer/face from top to bottom?
-It would make removal easier and it would increase the height of the opening for the rear flue vent to actually fit. The brick facing does not seem to extend into the roof.

How is terra cotta supported in a chimney? Will it collapse if I remove the heatform?
If I remove the heatform should firebrick/masonry be added even if the stove is properly distanced?
We are already insured for an insert. If all work is to code and passes a Tier II inspection will it likely be a non-issue?

I appreciate any help and advice.

View attachment 282469 View attachment 282470 View attachment 282471
There is no need or reason to remove the whole heat form. Yes the lintel could be raised but it isn't simple. Have you considered an insert instead of a stove?

Reactions: Cestus