Heatilator CD4842IR-C Gas Fireplace Help

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Hillview45

Feb 11, 2023
Atlanta
We have a heatilator gas fireplace (only 10 years old). It has two wall switches, both of which need to be in the on position to light the fireplace. Normally when i press both switches, it beeps, the pilot lights, stays on for a few seconds and then the flame ignites and takes over. Lately, everything works as normal except for the flame igniting. It does work intermittently. Any ideas of what is wrong? When it doesn't work, the pilot is on and looks as strong as normal. I don't believe it to be a switch issue because the pilot comes on every time and if both switches aren't on, the pilot won't come on.

It could be flame rectification. If the module doesn't know the flame is on, it won't allow the burner to come on. Watch the pilot when it comes on to see if it is still sparking when it is lit. If the pilot lights, and it isn't sparking, try tapping on the side of the valve to see if the burner comes on. If it is still sparking, the sensor rod probably needs cleaned.

It could be flame rectification. If the module doesn't know the flame is on, it won't allow the burner to come on. Watch the pilot when it comes on to see if it is still sparking when it is lit. If the pilot lights, and it isn't sparking, try tapping on the side of the valve to see if the burner comes on. If it is still sparking, the sensor rod probably needs cleaned.
Thanks for your reply. Rather than spend money on a service call, I narrowed it down to the flame sensor rod or the control valve. The pilot assembly was the cheaper and easier route to replace so I did that for $75 and that did the trick. Works like new again.

Thanks for your reply. Rather than spend money on a service call, I narrowed it down to the flame sensor rod or the control valve. The pilot assembly was the cheaper and easier route to replace so I did that for $75 and that did the trick. Works like new again.
You are welcome. We just had one we diagnosed today that the sensor wire had broken down. After a new pilot assembly, it is good as well.

To clarify, it was indeed the sensor rod, however cleaning it did not work. In order to replace it, you have to replace the whole pilot assembly which is pretty simple to swap out. Took 10 minutes.

Reactions: stovelark