Heatilator Eco Choice PS50 feeding and not feeding issues

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

hande

Jun 14, 2022
Bend, Oregon
I have a Heatilator Eco Choice PS50 for the last 10 years and it has been working great up until now. I woke up one night smelling smoke, I checked on the stove and saw the feeder was feeding nonstop, putting almost the whole bag into the stove at once and making a huge fire. I wasn’t able to stop the feeder with the thermostat so I unplugged the machine to stop the fire.

I wasn't sure what caused it but I assumed it was caused by ash buildup so I cleaned the whole thing. I then plugged it back in but now the feeder didn’t move. After googling for a bit I found out about the snap disc, was able to click it, and the feeder was moving again. However, it was feeding nonstop again, so I unplugged it (seemed like the best option at the time).

The problem is now the feeder isn’t moving again and it is not either of the snap discs this time. I followed troubleshooting guides and still nothing. I’m was thinking the thermostat might have been causing the too much feeding issue but I verified the call light was working as it should. I don’t know what to check now about the current no feeding issue. Anyone have a similar issue?
pic.jpg

If it was feeding non stop, odds are, the TRIAC inside the control module has shorted internally and is supplying power to auger motor on a constant basis which is a safety issue due to huge fires and overflowing pellets.

However, it seems you have another problem too if nothing works now.

The control board looks promising for the over feeding. Does it make sense to try to solder on a new TRIAC or should I just buy a new board?

Currently everything seems to come on but the feeder. I'm worried that something might have been damaged in the fires.

Thanks for the help!

Triac is replaceable, but if you're not skilled in electrical circuit trouble shooting and repairs it will be a bit of a challenge. Have you tried bypassing vacuum switch to see if auger powers back up on starts?

No luck even with bypassing the vacuum switch.
I’m actually thinking it might be the auger motor now. It has been making an odd grinding sound this year. I cleaned out the hopper of all dust and that seemed to help for a bit but the grinding sound came back. I’m thinking the control board failing and sending the motor into overdrive might be what finally pushed it too far. I’ll try to take it out and try to test it on its own next.
I hope I don't have to replace two of the most expensive parts.

So red heat light comes on, exhaust motor spools up, but no auger feeding even with vacuum switch jumped. Guess I'd like to make sure you have voltage at auger motor during this startup event. Can also try lubing auger motor.

There is a small fuse on circuit board that can open for the auger feed circuit. I think the triac is a 7 pin chip, not the typical 3 pin device, but would have to double check one of my fried boards that are laying around.

Final update. I was still unable to get the feed motor to turn so after looking at every other part I ended up ordering both a new control board and motor hoping they would solve the issue. Plugged them both in and it seems all is back in working order. Thanks for the help, hopefully it is good for another 10 years now.