Heatilator Mark 123

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

FL4T

Dec 9, 2019
IA
I am looking at redoing my fireplace for aesthetic reasons and want to cover it with stone. The part that is circled, can that be covered up or is that supposed to be open? I kind of demolished it a year ago and I believe it was covered up by the person who previously lived here, but can't recall for sure. Looks like there's a bit of an opening there so I don't know if air needs to get back there for some reason. (Total newbie). Sounds like maybe I need a Zero Clearance door if I keep this, correct?

The house was built in 1976 so maybe I should look into having someone replace the fireplace.

Heatilator.jpg
Thanks!

Not familiar with the unit, but that does look like an air intake.

If you want to use it for heat, you should definitely try to get a model number off of it so you can find out if you can put an insert into it.

I would put a hold on the tile work in that area until you have decided what to do with the fireplace.

I'd also question if that old 1x4 was ever kosher in that location (another question you may need the model number to answer).

Not familiar with the unit, but that does look like an air intake.

If you want to use it for heat, you should definitely try to get a model number off of it so you can find out if you can put an insert into it.

I would put a hold on the tile work in that area until you have decided what to do with the fireplace.

I'd also question if that old 1x4 was ever kosher in that location (another question you may need the model number to answer).
It is a mark 123 and no inserts can't go in them