Heatilator NDV3933IL won't stay lit

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

chadd77

Jun 30, 2011
PA
I have a Heatilator NDV3933IL that was installed about 10 years ago. The other day it was lit and burning for about an hour and then it stated popping and the flame was going in and out. I turned the switch off but there was still a tiny flame lit. It almost looked liked a pilot light. It kept burning. I had to shut the gas valve off for it to go out. I let it go for a day until I had a chance to look at it again. I turned the gas valve back on and the flame came on for a couple seconds then it started popping and went out except for the tiny flame. I fireplace does not have a pilot light. Does anyone have any ideas? I appreciate any help!

Is the flame rectifier rod clean? Steel wool works well...

That's a great question. This is what it looks like. Doesn't look terrible but I'll have to get some steel wool and clean it up a little. Thanks for the tip!

Attachments

• Photo Dec 10, 7 15 43 PM.jpg
    Photo Dec 10, 7 15 43 PM.jpg
    137.5 KB · Views: 187
Last edited:
Time to replace a lot of those glowing embers.
The rust-colored ones are SHOT.
While you're at it, vacuum the whole firebox out.
Insects are not considered OEM parts... :)