Heatilator question

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

jetsam

Minister of Fire
Dec 12, 2015
Long Island, NY
youtu.be
My father bought a house with a 1995 Heatilator G136E in it.

I have peered with flashlights and gone through the entire owner's manual, but I can't figure out what the below thingy is for.

Any ideas?

Image-1649336446.jpg

Probably the Outside Air control. Look to see if the is a small, dryer-type hood on the outside wall of your house in that general vicinity.

Reactions: jetsam
Probably the Outside Air control. Look to see if the is a small, dryer-type hood on the outside wall of your house in that general vicinity.

Are all dryer-type hoods good for this application? ;lol

Image-1171730810.jpg

And here's what the manual says:

Image-1188185833.jpg

Of course if the control arm is pulled out, the glass doors can't be closed... this is in line with my expectations of the install after seeing the vent hood though.

Last edited:
Hopefully that hood isn't for the fireplace. The proper hood would not have louvers, it needs to pull air in, not exhaust it.

Hopefully that hood isn't for the fireplace. The proper hood would not have louvers, it needs to pull air in, not exhaust it.

It was. He's going to grab a hooded dryer exhaust vent and a piece of hardware cloth next time he's at Home Depot.

Even once the OAK intake is un-louvered, I think it will be pulling a lot of air through the doors. It is certainly not designed to be a heater.