Q&A Heatilator Woes

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

QandA

Staff member
Nov 27, 2012
Question:

Dear Sirs, Have an 18 year old home with a heatilator. The flue door hinges rusted off and the door fell off. Do you have any information on repair or replacement? I don't really want or can afford to tear out the fireplace to replace the heatilator. I have asked the people at Hearth.com for their assistance also. Thanks. Great Website!

Answer:

A couple options for those rusted Heatilators:

1. If it's only a problem of a bad damper, you can purchase a "top sealing damper" from a company like Lyemance (http://www.lyemance.com/). This allows you to control a spring loaded damper from inside the house..the damper sits on the top of the chimney.

2. Install a wood burning insert, and line the chimney partially or fully. This is a option that will cost $1200 to $2000 or more, but give you good heat from your wood and a longer burn. Stainless steel piping is used to line the chimney.

3. Replace or rebuild the Heatilator...The mose expensive option - there are units made to do this, but I think you will spend $2500 to $4000 on an installed job.

Link: Top Sealing Dampers

Status
Not open for further replies.