Heating a Darkroom with a Serenity - Weird Question

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Apr 6, 2018
Maine
I am going to be heating my darkroom with my Serenity pellet stove. It's already installed in the space I'm going to be using so I can't afford to switch it out for anything else. Plus it's a great little heater so no interest in doing so!

Anyway, I need to black out the viewing window because it's a darkroom. Plus, I'd rather not do so permanently. Given the heat I can't just put some blackout paper over the door, or some other combustible or meltable material. Any ideas?

Don't think their is anything you can put over the glass that will stand up to the heat, covering the glass will also trap the heat on the glass possibly cracking it.. Only suggestion i have is let the glass get good and dirty with ash buildup

Ash build up would probably help a bit... Not sure it would ever get fully dark enough though.

There has to be some way. Even if it's blocked on all sides but down the light reflecting off the floor shouldn't effect the photographic paper too much.

Set a Blacked out fire screen in front of the door 8 to 10 inches
away Or whatever distance works for you

Aluminum foil? you can put like a pin in the middle or each corner so you can pull it off while the stove is on if you need to.. like a cap. you can leave the upper side of it a bit open to let some of the trapped heat escape.. no?

Cut a large enough piece of sheet metal, shape and paint appropriately and attach with magnets.

Reactions: jackhammer
Cut a large enough piece of sheet metal, shape and paint appropriately and attach with magnets.
how hot does a magnet has to be heated so it loses its magnetic field?

Don't know but I just now put a magnet on my Serenity door. Not yet into the burning season but will get back to you when it falls off.

Reactions: Talegas
Don't know but I just now put a magnet on my Serenity door. Not yet into the burning season but will get back to you when it falls off.

Make sure it has some weight on it.. meaning, that is not only the magnet weight being tested. I think you'll see it weakens its force.

I will keep track of the magnet strength with my gauss meter and report back. Also, it is claimed that neodymium magnets do not lose their strength until exposed to higher temperatures, such as 1652 to 1832 degrees fahrenheit (600 to 900 degrees celsius). I'm not sure that the outside of my Serenity door will get that hot but it might. We'll see.
95% of my magnet use is with neodymium magnets because of their small size and easy acquisition, so to clarify, that would be the magnet of choice for the suggested remedy in my first post.

Reactions: Talegas
Take out the glass and replace it with a piece of steel. That will work fine.
You can cut the steel to shape with a jig saw and easily buy a piece of steel from online metals!

Sheet metal with little bent tabs to slip it in and pull out. No need for magnets.

FYI you are gonna be roasted with that stove. You can't really control the temperature of the room since it runs full time even when it hits the set temp. I heat my 960 sq ft house with it on lowest setting and have to open windows.

You can turn it on and off constantly but that'll probably wear out the igniter alot faster.