Q&A Heating basement with Harman Stove

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

QandA

Staff member
Nov 27, 2012
Question:

Thanks for the info regarding the Harman pellet stove in the previous message. One other question I have is in regards to heating my finished basement. The stove I will be purchasing will be located on the 1st floor. I have no doubt that the stove will be able to heat the 1st and 2nd floor based on the open floor plan we have...but my concern is with our basement. Obviously heat will naturally rise...so I know that the heat will never move down without some other means of moving it. Does anyone have any suggestions on how to get the heat down there? I know there are blowers...but I'm not sure how much heat will move down with a couple of fans at the top of the stairs. Maybe a register? Or just forget it? Thanks again for the help. This forum is a great source.

Answer:

Pretty much forget it....it's really tough to move heat downward...short of having some funny looking ducts to catch the heat coming out the heat exchangers and then suck it downstairs. Another possibility - I've seen these fans hang from the ceiling and have a tube hanging down from them so to bring heat from on high down to the floor. One of these and a grate in the floor right below where it had it's outlet might do some kind of a job.

Status
Not open for further replies.