Heating concerns on St Croix York insert

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Neversink

Jan 5, 2011
NY
Hi guys,

I'm new to posting on the forum but have used it for quite awhile, great place for info. This is my first season with a pellet stove. We purchased a St Croix York insert. In short I'm less than pleased with the heat output we're getting. The stove itself seems to be good qulaity, although the versa grate motor went in the first couple of weeks. Since it's replacement the stove has worked great....except for the heat it's putting out. I will try to give as much details as possible out the install, pellets etc. Please let me know what you think.
Setup: installed in existing fireplace insert. Chimney is a longer run, about 20'
Pellets: LG Granules
House: Built in 1985, VERY well insulated, well beyond code for the time it was built. The windows do need to be replaced, but not horrible. It's 1200 square feet of livable space, however it does have 18' cathedral ceilings. The stove is situated in the living room, right in the heart of the cathedral ceiling.
Useage: Running the stove on level four 24/7. It's currently about 34 outside and the stove is keeping it at about 65 inside. On colder days the house can be as cold as 55-60, so we're being forced to use electric heat.

My hopes were to keep the house in the 70 degree range w/o the use of electric heat. Was this unrealistic? Should this stove be capable of what I'm expecting? I know of a few other people w/ larger homes than me that are heating almost entirely off of pellets..but they're staying very WARM. All in all so far a lot of spent money and not so much heat.

I apologize....I posted this in the wrong forum. Can the moderator please remove this thread? Sorry!

I hope you didnt buy it from Fireside Chatts! If you did, give Frank a call and we'll figure it out. What heat setting do you have the stove at by the way? If my company didnt install the stove, do you know if the chimney is properly sealed around the liner to stop your heat from leaving the house?

Status
Not open for further replies.