Heating my hot water heater with a boiler , house has CPVC lines can it be done ?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

hd28vsb

Jan 7, 2009
ohio
I have CPVC lines in my house and was wondering if it was possible to safely heat my water heater with a boiler ?
The 180 degree temp I keep hearing about sounds like the upper limit for CPVC.

Thanks

I think you can in theory, but in some places it's against code. CPVC has a high enough temp rating, but I'm not sure about how it would hold up over the long term. There must be a good reason why people use more expensive pex.

I have cpvc water lines and a sidearm on my elec. water heater which is equipped with a mixing valve. All the lines at the water heater are copper and transition to cpvc asap. With cpvc I don't even mess with unions, it's too cheap and easy to cut and replace any repairs or modifications. 180 degree water at a sink or shower seems a bit on the dangerous side.

So would PEX be the cheapesteasiest way to go on all my hot water lines in the basement?
Don't really want to run copper.

Pex is pretty cheap compared to copper these days. And it's a lot easier to work with, since you can bend the stuff around corners and you don't need to join sections with couplings for long runs. The main extra expense is the fittings, but you've got a couple of options there as well. Pex is also somewhat self-insulating. It's what most people seem to be using these days.

(I have cpvc water lines and a sidearm on my elec. water heater which is equipped with a mixing valve. All the lines at the water heater are copper and transition to cpvc asap. With cpvc I don’t even mess with unions, it’s too cheap and easy to cut and replace any repairs or modifications. 180 degree water at a sink or shower seems a bit on the dangerous side. )

Mixing valve ? can you explain this to me.
Is this regulating your temps?
What kind of temperatures are you averaging out of the heater?

Except that in most cases, the water is tempered on its way out of the tank. At least that's how I always do it.

Status
Not open for further replies.