Heating new Castleton soapstone

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Yes. The outside always dries faster.

But you can still get a wrong number, by probing perpendicular to the grain.
Well that just ruined my day. Some of it shows 25% . I split a few pieces. Guess I’ll start splitting the bigger pieces so it will dry faster. I do have some ready to burn but that really stinks. More time handling the wood!

Yeah, its less frustrating if you let it sit for a couple years. But to some extent, you've got to burn what you've got! Pallets got me through my first year. Lots of folks burn bio blocks, basically compressed sawdust blocks. Tractor Supply has Redstone blocks which are good. You can often get them on sale. Mix them in with your oak.

Yeah, its less frustrating if you let it sit for a couple years. But to some extent, you've got to burn what you've got! Pallets got me through my first year. Lots of folks burn bio blocks, basically compressed sawdust blocks. Tractor Supply has Redstone blocks which are good. You can often get them on sale. Mix them in with your oak.
Are they ok to burn in a new soapstone stove with a catalyst? Will they help keeping the stove heating at optimum burn even with some damp wood? I can mix because 1/3 of my wood is below 12%. I do appreciate your help. Guess I have to be proactive getting wood put away

As noted, that is not the way to test firewood. The firewood needs to be resplit at room temperature, then tested on the freshly exposed, interior face of the wood, parallel to the grain. Press the probes in firmly to get an accurate reading.

As noted, that is not the way to test firewood. The firewood needs to be resplit at room temperature, then tested on the freshly exposed, interior face of the wood, parallel to the grain. Press the probes in firmly to get an accurate reading.

If you had your #2 pencil out you would see that I did that and showed 25% moisture on my wood.

Are they ok to burn in a new soapstone stove with a catalyst? Will they help keeping the stove heating at optimum burn even with some damp wood? I can mix because 1/3 of my wood is below 12%. I do appreciate your help. Guess I have to be proactive getting wood put away

Yes, they are ok to burn in a cat stove. You have to make sure they don't have any binders. I think I saw somebody mention they look like big pellets, which is true. Since they have such a low moisture content, you'll have to experiment to figure out how much is right for your stove. I've never used a soapstone stove, so I cant give you any experience calls with them.