Heating Oil prices put Pellets on back burner.

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Opening markets showing a NYMEX on crude and gas down over 4%. Get ready for holiday gouging at the pump as AAA says the most people since 08 hitting road for the holiday. I filled last night as some stations were bumping prices by 20 cents or more. I have a 80 mile hike to work at Brainard International Raceway for the weekend.

Reactions: vinny11950
.. I have a 80 mile hike to work at Brainard International Raceway for the weekend.

Very cool...

Dan

charger.jpg

I am there to deliver and set up a fireworks displayDSCN0096.JPG

Reactions: bogieb
I have a brother-in-law wired into the oil industry and I was asking him last night how the industry was doing. He said its bleak for the foreseeable future and his oil company is offering buyouts to its employees. Saudis are pumping like crazy to capture market share and Iran is not a factor, except that if the treaty is ratified, that will be another million barrels of oil on the market, which will drive prices down even further. Also affecting the downward trend is the explosion of alternative energy, particularly solar, that is making a bigger impact on fossil fuels prices than most people are aware of. His profession is looking ahead and right now, there is no expectation that oil will rebound, except for some noted gouging in sections of the northeast.

Reactions: vinny11950
$279 @Lowes
$282 @Walmart
(locally)

Dan

I'm going to make a few spot checks later today but I hit a couple of HD's and Lowes over my way the other day and they are loaded with multiple brands and you can buy all the pellets you want at $300+ per ton that you want. I always drive around the back of the building and there you'll usually find them stacking them wherever they can. The forklift drivers are a wealth of information regarding the lack of any significant interest at the present time on buying pellets. I agree that the smaller pellet dealers are stuck pretty much at their present price points but the big box stores have the margins to set pellets up as loss leaders to get folks into their stores if they have to. I am sure they already know from comparative sales figures what's really going on and I am not plan I to do any buying for another month or so especially with oil as a great shoulder option going into the heating season.

HD is still at $259/ton around here - less than I paid a local dealer last fall for pellets, so I'm good with that.

For the same brand?

No, but the brand I got last year was super ashy, cakey and generally nasty (Curran's blends). I know, other people said their Currans burned okay, but those 2 tons (I still have a ton in the basement) were only beaten as the worst pellet I've burned by TSC pine bedding (the dark pellets). Even Heat'rz and Maine's Choice were much better burning. FSU's were outstanding by contrast (and I know they aren't anything special - compared to some Vermont's that I got). Hey, if I'm gonna burn crap, then I don't want to pay $280+/ton!

Reactions: Peterfield
We dropped here to $2.44 today for COD. Saw pellets for $249 not sure of the brand.

BOB

I have a wood stove and don't burn pellets. I have a ton of friends/family with pellet stoves here in CT asking my my thoughts as I told them I am not going to burn much wood this winter if these prices hold. With current oil prices I have been telling many of them it really makes no sense to burn pellets this winter if oil prices stay this low. I know many of you have your different reasons but many of my friends/family have kids and are extremely busy. I said its probably much cheaper to just turn the oil burner on. Pellet prices around here are still way high. Lowes/HD still asking $269 a ton. Just looking to give friends/family good advice. Just seems oil is the way to go currently.

New Haven, CT area you can get oil COD for $1.61 a gallon. These are wholesale prices and oil dropped since the 10/26 update.

CTOIl.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.