Heating the far rooms

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

beermann

Feeling the Heat
Jan 16, 2017
canada
So to sum it all up. It's cold outside, snows here and I'm using my insert. It's awesome. I live in a ranch style home and the rooms down the hall are cold. It's about 10to12°Celsius different from the hallway to the room.

My project/idea is to create very mild negative air pressure (on the cheap side) in one of the rooms so that the warm air flows down the halls and into the rooms. This way even when doors are closed the negative pressure will cause warmer air to drift above and below the closed door.

As a temporary experiement I'm thinking on taking a duct fan and attaching it to the floor vent. it will be attached so that the fan direction will pull air from inside the room and push it into the basement. This way warm air from the hallway will gradually flow into the room. If pumping air into the basement works to heat the room by just a few degrees I can then entertain installing a separate duct line to bring that air directly into the room with the fireplace.

Has anyone tried this?

*edit: I am trying to avoid placing fans on the floor or on doorways. With our family they would just get in the way. Im trying to use discreet methods like floor vents for this project.

I am trying to avoid placing fans on the floor or on doorways. With our family they would just get in the way.

You are correct, one does not put a fan on the floor. One rather uses a door frame fan.

Reactions: cookin2night
Yes you are correct, The way it is normally done is to pull the cold air out of the room at the floor, pushing to the stove room. I think trying to push air into a basement, the air has no where to go. Back bed rooms are hard to heat.

So to sum it all up. It's cold outside, snows here and I'm using my insert. It's awesome. I live in a ranch style home and the rooms down the hall are cold. It's about 10to12°Celsius different from the hallway to the room.

My project/idea is to create very mild negative air pressure (on the cheap side) in one of the rooms so that the warm air flows down the halls and into the rooms. This way even when doors are closed the negative pressure will cause warmer air to drift above and below the closed door.

As a temporary experiement I'm thinking on taking a duct fan and attaching it to the floor vent. it will be attached so that the fan direction will pull air from inside the room and push it into the basement. This way warm air from the hallway will gradually flow into the room. If pumping air into the basement works to heat the room by just a few degrees I can then entertain installing a separate duct line to bring that air directly into the room with the fireplace.

Has anyone tried this?

*edit: I am trying to avoid placing fans on the floor or on doorways. With our family they would just get in the way. Im trying to use discreet methods like floor vents for this project.
Is your basement heated space? Does it have living area? Is there a way for the air you are going to pump down there to get back up to the main floor?

This will work. I JUST added some 8” flex duct and used a floor register and cheap inline blower to pull cold air from my dining room to my stove room in the basement.

I have poor attic insulation though and i think that’s limiting me from maintaining the heat. So just make sure you have good insulation in the room you wish to heat.

Reactions: beermann
Is your basement heated space? Does it have living area? Is there a way for the air you are going to pump down there to get back up to the main floor?

Yes directly below the room is a living space with a gas fireplace. I figured if it gets too cold down there someone will just turn on the gas when needed. I did think about using the gas insert and push the warm air up but it seems like a waste of resources if I can get away with just running a small fan and no gas.

This will work. I JUST added some 8” flex duct and used a floor register and cheap inline blower to pull cold air from my dining room to my stove room in the basement.

I have poor attic insulation though and i think that’s limiting me from maintaining the heat. So just make sure you have good insulation in the room you wish to heat.

Yes the room is poorly insultated. Its mainlybecause the bedroom has 3 large windows which are oiginals in this 60yr old place. I do not have the funds to do the insulation or renovations.

Just to put things insto perspective. A 250watt space heater will raise the room temp by a few degrees whithin a few hours. This small ceramic heater is currently my goto to maintain a comfertable sleeping tempreture level throughout the night for my kid roughly 16-18 celcius. Just not optimal in my eyes as the hallway can be a comfertable 21-22 yet his room is 5 degrees cooler.

Last edited:

Good to hear. I am going shopping today.

Yes directly below the room is a living space with a gas fireplace. I figured if it gets too cold down there someone will just turn on the gas when needed. I did think about using the gas insert and push the warm air up but it seems like a waste of resources if I can get away with just running a small fan and no gas.
Have you looked at one of these wall cavity fans? Seems fairly simple to install. Maybe a different option. http://www.hvacquick.com/products/r...MIu8SsqrW51wIVT15-Ch3P0AbbEAQYBiABEgLqK_D_BwE

Moving the heated air is a better idea.. your in a ranch
Flex duc in the attic.. duct booster fan for the duct work, inlet in the ceiling close the the stove/ insert. Regester in the celing of area wanting to heat. There's another thread going on regarding this. Also i have posted what i have done which is the same thing your trying to achieve. I gave a pic of my vent with an air probe in it showing the heated air coming out. It works well. Plus you dont need to run it all the time.

Moving the heated air is a better idea.. your in a ranch
Flex duc in the attic.. duct booster fan for the duct work, inlet in the ceiling close the the stove/ insert. Regester in the celing of area wanting to heat. There's another thread going on regarding this. Also i have posted what i have done which is the same thing your trying to achieve. I gave a pic of my vent with an air probe in it showing the heated air coming out. It works well. Plus you dont need to run it all the time.

Please provide me with the threads if possible. Post pictures Or pm me. I am going out right. Ow to get a 6" inline fan to trial blowing air from the room I want warmed directly into the living space below. If it raises temps in the room I intend to heat then I will try making a separate line as you've mentioned above.

I would try your idea of pushing the cold air down into the basement from the cold rooms. That would create a vacuum and draw the warm air into that space. I heat 3000 SF on 3 floors with a wood stove in the 1st floor so i know how it works.

Stay away from moving the cold air out. In your application it will not work. Your a single level home. Remove the cold air from a room will only get replaced with more cold air.
No need to go through trial and error. No need to experiment.
It makes 0 sence to try to move cold air out and hope warm air will move in
When you can just blow warm air in and be done

I would try your idea of pushing the cold air down into the basement from the cold rooms. That would create a vacuum and draw the warm air into that space. I heat 3000 SF on 3 floors with a wood stove in the 1st floor so i know how it works.

Yeah I agree. The room is tight enough that a 250watt space heater makes a difference. I think negative air pressure will draw in the warm air. Since the cold is being lost through three large windows and not air leaks its seems like common sense.

Stay away from moving the cold air out. In your application it will not work. Your a single level home. Remove the cold air from a room will only get replaced with more cold air.
No need to go through trial and error. No need to experiment.
It makes 0 sence to try to move cold air out and hope warm air will move in
When you can just blow warm air in and be done

It's not that I'm trying to disagree here but I just can't have fans laying around the floor or have fans in doorways. Adding registers above the door frames just makes it so everything is a little loader and waking people up when walking down the hall and going to the washroom.

Yeah I agree. The room is tight enough that a 250watt space heater makes a difference. I think negative air pressure will draw in the warm air. Since the cold is being lost through three large windows and not air leaks its seems like common sense.
But remember this will only work if you have a feed from the basement thru the floor up into the fireplace room. So the air can loop from the fireplace room to the bedrooms ,then down to the basement thru the basement and up into the fireplace room again/ Its always easier to blow cold air down and warm air up than vise versa.

I do kind of like the door fans but at 6'4" tall i dont want things in the doorways. I just end up leaning or ducking all the time.....
They go in the corner like a wedge. You'd have to be aiming for them.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

I expect with the right air movement you may be able to bring the temps in the bedrooms up 5 to 10 degrees or so ,but whatever you do the stove room will always be warmer than the far rooms.

I expect with the right air movement you may be able to bring the temps in the bedrooms up 5 to 10 degrees or so ,but whatever you do the stove room will always be warmer than the far rooms.

Yes sir. I realize my stove room will be very warm in comparison. right now the stove room is 23° the hallway is 21 and My boys room is 15 celcius. When the cold weather hits assume the stove room and the hallway to remain similar but the bedrooms to be colder. My goal is to make the kids bedrooms within 5 to 10° as the hallway. in the coldest of weather in Ontario.

But remember this will only work if you have a feed from the basement thru the floor up into the fireplace room. So the air can loop from the fireplace room to the bedrooms ,then down to the basement thru the basement and up into the fireplace room again/ Its always easier to blow cold air down and warm air up than vise versa.

I'm looking at different duct work right now.

Let us know what you ultimately choose for your application and maybe include pictures, etc., if it seems appropriate. What you are trying to accomplish is a common HVAC engineering scenario. It is seen a lot in quarantine rooms in hospitals or clean rooms (white rooms) in various industries. It is about changing the relative pressure differential between spaces.