heating with a wood cook stove??

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Hey, if blaze king made a cook stove I could do some slow cooking. That fancy one pictured is pretty cool

Waterford plant in Ireland was closed years ago. I found out last year when touring their wisky...I mean stove stores.

There's one from Croatia or Czech Rep.that is phenomenal...I'll try to find a link. I saw them and the designs were extremely thoughtful.

Waterford plant in Ireland was closed years ago. I found out last year when touring their wisky...I mean stove stores.

There's one from Croatia or Czech Rep.that is phenomenal...I'll try to find a link. I saw them and the designs were extremely thoughtful.
It’s a shame about the Waterford plant. The article I read says they are now being made abroad. Which probably means China. The same company owns aga and Rayburn as well as Viking.

I still see them offered for sale on websites. Maybe they have old stock or haven’t got the memo.

It’s a shame about the Waterford plant. The article I read says they are now being made abroad. Which probably means China. The same company owns aga and Rayburn as well as Viking.

I still see them offered for sale on websites. Maybe they have old stock or haven’t got the memo.
China is correct. The Middleton Distillery, Waterford Crystal are both still there in County Cork. Big hazmat area where foundry was. Hey, they still have great wisky!

Last edited:

China is correct. The Middleton Distillery, Waterford Crystal are both still there in County Cork. Big hamster area where foundry was. Hey, they still have great wisky!
Well, there’s always a bright side. I might have to acquire some for my collection. Lol

I learned something new about my wife, she only likes antique styled heat stoves, not cook stoves! The more I showed her stuff like the Margin Gem and Elmira Fireview the less she seemed to like the styling. She says they are too busy. It's tough to find a good UL Listed cook stove.

@Joyboy
Do you have any issues putting a full size turkey in your Esse? I'm eyeballing the Ironheart and 990 triple oven. Trying to find a listed cook stove that will hold a full size turkey while fitting into a 72" x 32" space.

@Joyboy
Do you have any issues putting a full size turkey in your Esse? I'm eyeballing the Ironheart and 990 triple oven. Trying to find a listed cook stove that will hold a full size turkey while fitting into a 72" x 32" space.
I have put a full size turkey in there but I had to look through our roasting pans to find one that would fit in the oven. The oven floor measures 18” x 14”. One of our large roasting pans had large handles that kept me from closing the door but luckily I had another one that had more compact handles that fit perfectly.

I have some large cookie sheets that won’t fit in the oven.

I have put a full size turkey in there but I had to look through our roasting pans to find one that would fit in the oven. The oven floor measures 18” x 14”. One of our large roasting pans had large handles that kept me from closing the door but luckily I had another one that had more compact handles that fit perfectly.

I have some large cookie sheets that won’t fit in the oven.

Does your 990 incorporate domestic hot water heating? My goal is to eventually be off grid after we finish remodeling the house. My short list includes the 990 (dependent on water hook up), Iron Heart, Sopka/Tim Sistem North Hydro, and the Rizzoli ST/LT 90. I think these are the only stoves that will hold a turkey, heat our water, we find good looking, and are UL listed. I don't think our Insurance will be down with an unlisted stove regardless of the install and it will take a long time for us to be able to self insure.

Does your 990 incorporate domestic hot water heating? My goal is to eventually be off grid after we finish remodeling the house. My short list includes the 990 (dependent on water hook up), Iron Heart, Sopka/Tim Sistem North Hydro, and the Rizzoli ST/LT 90. I think these are the only stoves that will hold a turkey, heat our water, we find good looking, and are UL listed. I don't think our Insurance will be down with an unlisted stove regardless of the install and it will take a long time for us to be able to self insure.
Mine isn’t a boiler. There are still some available that are but I know esse is discontinuing the boiler on the 990. I know from all the research that I did on cookstoves that you have to be careful and size the radiator units correctly. If you don’t the stove becomes a creosote making factory.

Reactions: SpaceBus
Mine isn’t a boiler. There are still some available that are but I know esse is discontinuing the boiler on the 990. I know from all the research that I did on cookstoves that you have to be careful and size the radiator units correctly. If you don’t the stove becomes a creosote making factory.

Thanks for the heads up. I take it an oversized boiler would lead to excessive creosote?

Thanks for the heads up. I take it an oversized boiler would lead to excessive creosote?
Yep. Some people have some really nice set ups that work well but others have had a nightmare getting it to work properly.

Most of the people that come here seem to have problems with wet wood. You add oversized radiators pulling even more heat out of the fire box and you could have big problems.

Yep. Some people have some really nice set ups that work well but others have had a nightmare getting it to work properly.

Most of the people that come here seem to have problems with wet wood. You add oversized radiators pulling even more heat out of the fire box and you could have big problems.

Yeah, that's no kidding! I've been cutting and stacking wood since we got here, and we've used up about 2/3 of the seasoned wood left here by the previous owners. A pallet of compressed wood bricks is also inbound to supplement our less than idea stacks. After this winter it should be smooth sailing. I'd like to have the house finished and the cook stove installed by fall 2020, but we shall see. I'm leaning heavily towards the Esse Ironheart, but the price of the Tim Sistem North with boiler is very attractive. It might be a nice entry level cooker and then upgrade to something like the Rizzoli ST90 or Esse Ironheart after we've gotten used to cooking with wood. Then I could build a three sided structure on the patio and move the North outside for a summer kitchen.

I'll chat up my local family owned heating and plumbing shop. Wood fired boilers are popular up here, so it shouldn't be a big deal. A tankless water heater will be happening within the next six months. I figure I'll need some type of holding tank for the stove/boiler, but there's already a place for it since we have a 52 gallon hot water tank/heater.

Reactions: Joyboy
I really liked the features on this stove. Cost being one of them. Lol. It’s not UL listed but my insurance company told me that they just needed it installed to manufacturer specs.

https://www.woodcookstove.com/lacunza-vulcano-cook-stove.html

I saw the Lacunza stoves, they really are fantastic. The only UL listed stove has an oven that's too small and it puts out too much heat unfortunately. We live right on the coast and only got two quotes, everyone else refused. An unlisted stove might push them over the edge, and Maine defaults to NFPA 211, so it would basically have to sit in the middle of the Kitchen, and that's not an option.

hey folks, i've been heating our place with a wood stove for years. we have recently been talking about swapping the wood stove out for a wood fired cook stove. has anyone had any experience with using one for a primary heater? Could we expect a large wood cook stove to heat as effectively as wood stove?

It depends.

It depends on the space you want to heat, if you want to heat over night, the stove you buy, home insulation, etc.

We have a wood stove that also has a cooking oven and a hot plate (the La Nordica Rosella in my signature below), and it is our "primary" heater. But our house has two chimnies, and so we also have a secondary, smaller, wood stove, and we have a small house. So the two together are more than what we need (we may not even run the second stove on most days). Also I don't burn overnight. The house is well insulated and does not need overnight burns.

Also, the manual for the La Nordica suggests it not be used as a "primary heater" in the context of always on, overnight heating. So I don't. But, as above, I don't need to.

Would my electric glass top stove be considered a non combustible material? I just saw that the old Jotul 404 is UL listed. If my oven is considered non combustible, I should be able to keep both in the kitchen. Anyone ever heard of someone heating domestic hot water with a 404? I didn't see it listed in the manual I found, so probably not. Still, would be a nice starter cook stove.

Yes, on top in a kettle or pot. The thought didn't cross my mind and I assumed one doesn't want a steam boiler system.

Reactions: SpaceBus
Yes, on top in a kettle or pot. The thought didn't cross my mind and I assumed one doesn't want a steam boiler system.

Well, I really like the domestic hot water heating offered in some cook stoves. It's usually just a stainless pipe bent in a "U" shape with threaded pipe nipples on the back or side. It would be something I would add to my electric system to take load off when possible.

Either way, I love the little 404, or at least the little bit of information I can find online. If my electric glass top oven counts as a non combustible surface then I'll probably start looking out for one in New England.

Hot water heating is very different from boiling water. It's at a much lower temp. A proper water jacket system should have safeguards if this should happen.