Heavy reading but worth it......

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Maybe someone has a better figure than myself, but I'd guess that bark etc makes up less than 5% of a typical fuel load? How much can it add to the particulate number? By simply stripping the bark off your typical piece of firewood it is suddenly able to get a campfire to pass emissions standards? Toungue in cheek humour right? Knowing that bark is so dirty, you must already strip it from all your wood before buring...if you don't than isn't that akin to burning high MC wood? Oh the shame... ;-)

It would be interesting to see what intermittent loads do to the numbers. IIRC CB is claiming to be 3x better than the spec with the 2400. I wonder if cycling would put them over. Trouble with that is all houses/installations are going to cyle differently, so what minimum number of cycles do you put on a boiler test spec?

Let me just say that I know there was a test done using two brands of downdraft gasifiers and a PhaseII compliant OWB that showed a significant difference when "real world" conditions were used. I think the results of that test will become public knowledge in the near future and shed a little light on the subject. Seems as though the results of that test elicited a few raised eyebrows in places that matter.

From what I was told it should be within a month or less and that's all I can say right now. Sorry.

Not trying to be all mysterious about it but I'm unsure of how much I can say. I don't know if this info is of copyrighted nature or if it's all going to be public knowledge.

Ken hit the nail on the head . Improper use of stoves inside or out will produce a belcher. Saying all outdoor gassers are belchers is as wrong as saying all inside stoves are.My understanding is both method 28 and ASTM testing is done with crib wood. No bark.Inside wood fireplaces and stoves are tested the same way. I am sure it has to do with being exact on the weight and loading all the same way.
BioHeat and Econoburn both tried the method 28 test and didn't do well. Why did they test in the first place with method 28. If the ASTM test made those look better they should have stuck with that test. Is this all a case of we need a test for each brand that will fit each brand the best and make them look at their best?
For all you NYers April 15 2011 is the end of the traditional outdoor furnaces. Only Phase 2 stoves after that. This covers all outdoor and any boiler housed in a structure not occupied by humans. Public hearings start June 3rd 2010 . All need to contact their dealer for info. BOTH indoor and outdoor owners. For example Kens Garn would not be in compliance.!1 its not in a home occupied by humans. 2 its not phase 2...... I know Ken is in PA but just using him for a example.... Go PSU

The issue is designing a test realistic test protocol that customers can count on to reflect what they will actually experience when they buy one of these approved units.

Testing to make each unit look its best? Not so much.............

Have to agree with Heaterman & others.

All that is likely to come from this test procedure is very misleading info AFA real world operation is concerned.

We will quite likely see metal fabricators (on this side of the pond) who just happen to build heating appliances (well sort of in their spare time) build units to pass this test (if you can call it that) they get their sticker & they are off to the races.

A few (less than 5) years later nothing but unhappy customers as their real world experience with an approved unit bears no resemblance to the test data the "salesman" so happily produced.

Correct me if I am wrong but haven't we already done this in the North American industry???

Looks like we all may be in for a re-run of a very bad B grade movie that we all have seen before. Too bad. Sad part is we all know how it ends.

Status
Not open for further replies.