height of the hearth?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

tedzap

Jul 27, 2009
Southwest Virginia
I am thinking that a tall hearth which put the woodstove a couple feet off the ground would be much easier to load and keep clean. I have three 60" ceiling fans in a 24x32 room, so I am not too concerned about cold floors.

Is there a good reason not to have it up off the ground?

Thanks,
-Ted

Check the mfg's required clearance from the top of the stove to combustibles, i.e., your ceiling. If you have 8 ft. ceilings, you may not be able to raise the stove as much as you want. If your ceilings are 10 ft. or higher, probably no prob.

Peace,
- Sequoia

good point. The only reference I found in the Jotul manual had to do with placement in an alcove. It says that if I use a double wall pipe (which I planned to do) then the minimum clearance is 40". With my 9' ceilings this would equate to a max hearth height of 40" off the ground.

maybe some of the install pros here can chime in?

In the "CLEARANCES TO COMBUSTIBLES" section of the Jotul manual, I find only one place where they mention the "height above the stove" - that is in the Alcove section.

Here is what they say for a:

Minimum unprotected alcove:
Assumes-
Top exit, single wall pipe, and stove's rear heatshield.
Minimum alcove width = 71” (1805mm)
Maximum alcove depth = 40” (1015mm)
height above the top of the stove = 68” (1730mm)

They then go on to list the clearances in an alcove if you use double wall pipe:
Minimum unprotected alcove:
Assumes-
Top exit, single wall pipe, and stove's rear heatshield.

Minimum alcove width = 35” (890mm)
Maximum alcove depth = 24” (610mm)
height above the top of the stove = 40” (1015mm)

This is confusing to me, because the stove is 27-7/8" tall. If you use a singlewall pipe and have a hearth that is more than 1/8" tall then an 8' ceiling isn't tall enough for proper clearance.

My ceiling is 9', and I plan to use double wall pipe, so I calculate that my hearth could be a max height of 40" (obviously more than I would want).

The question still remains, is there any reason *not* to raise the stove up a couple of feet for easier loading/lighting/cleaning? It makes sense to me, and I guess that I am surprised I don't recall seeing raised hearths.

Thanks,
-Ted

Status
Not open for further replies.