Height of wall heat shielding

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Deryk

Jun 3, 2017
Gouldsboro Pa
I got my stove on monday. I was wondering how tall the wall shielding needs to be. The stove stands 25.5" high.

thanks

Attachments

• woodstoveincrate.jpg
    woodstoveincrate.jpg
    71.2 KB · Views: 143
I've looked to try and find a "height" requirement, but all I'm finding is clearance from wall for a metal Heat Shield. I would "assume", and hoping, I'll be corrected, if i'm incorrect, but I would go 6" above the height of the stove. But also remember you need to maintain wall clearance to your stove pipe also, depending on type pf pipe you are using.
There are also a number of additional clearances you need to maintain with the heat shield, like air gap on the bottom, between the wall, and fastener placement.

Reactions: Deryk
Oh yeah keeping a minimum of 1" space behind the heat shielding (probably 1.5" space, 3 strips of the Durock 1/2" thick) Going to be double walled pipe from the stove up to the chimney cap. I was looking at the 3'x5' 1/2" thick panels at Lowes...much easier to get home then a 4x8' sheet lol and with a 3' heat shield height it would be almost a foot taller then the stove...I just haven't found a requirement spec

Oh on a side note, cutting the Durock, can I use a circular saw/table saw? Do I need a different type of blade?

Your heatsheild needs to be tall enough that your stove meets all clearance requirements even when measured at a diagonal. What stove is it and how close do you want to be to the wall.

The manual says nothing about reducing the allowable clearances other than doing it for the pipe. That means no matter what heat sheild you use you cant put the stove closer that the allowed 14". Now at 14" for the stove it puts your pipe at 16" and that needs to be 18" which is confirmed later in the manual. So unless you sheild the pipe or use double wall the stove would need to push out to 16" to get the clearance on your pipe.

Oh yeah using dbl walled pipe for less creosote buildup and closer clearance (and honestly, the stove will put out enough heat for my 529 square foot cabin). I was planning the stove to be a little bit catty cornered, the manuf specs say the back corner 18" to the combustible wall, I can get 14" of space to the shielding, and on the opposite side of the stove is my chair it's about 34" away from the stove(at the closest point, manual says 28" to combustibles.)..if it becomes the "hot seat" I guess I could build a half wall heat shielded between the stove and my chair.

I can get 14" of space to the shielding,
Well you need 18" to the combustible wall shielded or not according to the manual

The manual says nothing about reducing the allowable clearances other than doing it for the pipe. That means no matter what heat sheild you use you cant put the stove closer that the allowed 14". Now at 14" for the stove it puts your pipe at 16" and that needs to be 18" which is confirmed later in the manual. So unless you sheild the pipe or use double wall the stove would need to push out to 16" to get the clearance on your pipe.
Shouldn't that be 12" - one third of 36" with a proper shield?

Shouldn't that be 12" - one third of 36" with a proper shield?
No on a listed stove unless stated otherwise you cannot reduce the clearance.

I could do that but then what is the point of using heat shielding if your following the manuf specs for distance to combustibles?
There is none.

No on a listed stove unless stated otherwise you cannot reduce the clearance.
Right you are, I was thinking this was the Durango.

why are the clearances less on the durango which is the larger model then the one I bought?
It really doesnt make much sense but those are the rules. But the size of the stove really has no bearing on the required clearance

The Durango's clearances are much larger but they have this sentence which allows reduced clearances under the proper circumstances:
Installation of this stove must comply with the latest edition of NFPA 211 for reduced clearances and/or your local building code rulings.

That said, the minimum for the Durango with an NFPA 211 heat shield would be 12" which is not much less than 14".