Hello everyone, I am back

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

DDJR

Mar 20, 2015
western ma
Where to begin... We used to have an Italian piazzetta pellet stove and got much help tips and information here. But we have since moved to a small log cabin. Now in the basement, there is an oil furnace, and a Clayton wood furnace. Both heat the log cabin just fine. On the first floor, there is a Woodstock fireview 205 wood stove. I love it. it actually makes a soft heat, if you understand me. It's not harsh on your skin, but it certainly warms this place entirely. The problem is, I have made a bedroom for my daughter is downstairs in the basement. It used to be an unheated two-bay garage, which I have piped heat in two from the oil furnace. The wood furnace also hooks up to this duct work and heat that space now. The problem is, when we run the wood stove upstairs, it satisfies the thermostat for both the furnace and the wood stove, which makes them cold. Maybe I should put the thermostat in the girl's bedroom? Any thoughts on this anyone?

My guess is if you put thermostat in the cool room it will run your furnace until satisfied but will also heat other rooms close to and in stove room which might make them uncomfortable unless you can block them off. Im just speculating i dont have a multiple levels....but i have heard blocking vents is rather unefficient if that is even a concern. I do think it would work as far as heating your daughters room tho.

I think I would look into a small electric space heater for just that room. You could install smart thermostats that have remote temp. sensor capabilities, but as mentioned I think balancing the heat would be a challenge.

How to zone a forced air furnace with a motorized damper.

Well that was interesting... I had to wood furnace running in the basement, and the wood stove in the living room first floor. It got so hot in here... When the thermostat read that it was 90 degrees in here, and sweat was running down my face, I went down and turned it off. It wouldn't turn off, so I had to kill the power to it. The blower just kept blowing until I kill the power to it. Totally overheated this little log cabin. Balance... Balance is going to be impossible, isn't it?