Hello...Long time Fisher here.

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

hareball

Dec 11, 2009
Jersey shore/pines
Very nice forum you guys have here. I never put the connection between the internet and the woodstove but while recently doing some research on my fisher I found my way here and glad I did.

I'm from the Jersey shore/pines area and living in the house I was raised in. I guess it was mid to late 70's when my father and our neighbor started with a pile of bricks, mud and a bottle of scotch and soon after this magical monster showed up and it was not long before this monster consumed the pallet it was delivered on. The monster is one of those Fisher Grandma Bears, she is as hungry as ever and sometimes you can't stand to be in the same room with her!!
I still cook dinners on or in the stove as I remember my parents doing from time to time. Recently after putting all new pipes n the stove we removed the old small block chevy radiator my father mounted to the back of the stove. He ran water to it and from there to a holding tank in the furnace room where the water was used for showers.
I enjoy running this stove. I put 2-3 cords through it over the winter and try to give the oil furnace and my wallet a break. We used to also run a small stove from the store that was named "Two Guys" but I retired that cigar smoker style stove as she was falling apart and unsafe so now with the help of some fans the fisher is doing the whole home.
I've noticed running around 450-475 for an hour or so then damper down to 350 really makes her throw some heat for a few ours and as for smoke she runs very clean on 2 year seasoned oak. I just had a nice run on an oak that was unsplit and seasoned 3 years. I'd roll 2 of those big logs through the door on a nice bed of coals dampers open 2 full turns and she was going 6 solid hours. Wish I had more of that!!

-Bob

Just sold my grandma bear stove. The new owner will be picking it up this weekend. They are a serious heater.

Sounds like you love yours as well.

Welcome aboard.

pen

I highly recommend the recommendation.

pen

Thanks guys, I have it downloaded and can't wait to read all about it.
I really do love this old stove. Many fond memories of dodging wood as my father could split it faster than I could pick it up and stack it...good times haha

a few photos

Attachments

• hearth.jpg
    hearth.jpg
    47.7 KB · Views: 222
  • fisher1.jpg
    fisher1.jpg
    34.1 KB · Views: 227
Nice blaze in the stove, but supercedars are probably an easier way to start a fire than the first shot. :)

Thanks for those links...That book was a great read!! I sent it over to my parents too so they can read all about the story on the stove they bought over 30 years ago. and funny enough they are also Bob and Carol!
Is there any updates on the Fishers? And I wonder what Bob's beer of choice was?

I just put an order in for 1.5 cords of seasoned oak. Big storm coming and the wood will be here just in time.

My love of wood stoves is rooted in the old Grandma Bear stove that my dad burned when I was a kid.

-SF

Status
Not open for further replies.