Help...1991 Welenco Plus Pellet Stove

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

ronlawver

Nov 16, 2008
Washington
I recently installed an older Welenco Pellet Stove. It worked great for about 2 weeks. Now, I'm having problems. This is what it is doing: The flame is really low, the pot does not want to fill with pellets. The auger motor was just changed. I also changed the exaust heat sensor. We had the electrical board checked and it seems to be fine. The stove won't keep the flame, it just burns down to nothing. I don't know if it's a timer problem. If you manually feed it it will burn a good flame until it burns down. Again, sounds like an auger problem, but I just replaced the auger. I don't know what else to check. Any suggestions?? Also, the stove emits a horrible smell of smoke/creosolt and blacks up the front. The door and the seals are good. I'm at a loss... Thanks for any help.

I know nothing about your stove, but a thought occurred to me: Did this problem start AFTER the auger was changed, or before?

If after, are you sure that you got the correct auger? Some are 1 RPM, some are 2 RPM, and there are even 4 RPM models. If you ended up with the wrong one (lower RPM), that would explain not getting the right amount of pellets.

Maybe this will help.

If your pellet stove is honestly that old - then it would be among the first ever marketed. Many early pellet stoves had systemic problems (some STILL do these days!) and it could be next to impossible to get it working perfectly.

Maybe someone else can help, but personally I would not suggest spending too much money or time on pellet stove from that era.

that is the first generation pellet master
I sold a few and had one in my first house. 1992
sold that stove to the wifes fire capt and he is still using it.

Sounds like it is working in Idel mode. that stove had an optional thermostat
if the thermostat wires are not twisted together it will run at LOW MODE
or the high limit switch triped or bad or wires broken and stove stuck in low mode
or the stoker controler is bad

A lot like the pellet master

ronlawver said:
I recently installed an older Welenco Pellet Stove. It worked great for about 2 weeks. Now, I'm having problems. This is what it is doing: The flame is really low, the pot does not want to fill with pellets. The auger motor was just changed. I also changed the exaust heat sensor. We had the electrical board checked and it seems to be fine. The stove won't keep the flame, it just burns down to nothing. I don't know if it's a timer problem. If you manually feed it it will burn a good flame until it burns down. Again, sounds like an auger problem, but I just replaced the auger. I don't know what else to check. Any suggestions?? Also, the stove emits a horrible smell of smoke/creosolt and blacks up the front. The door and the seals are good. I'm at a loss... Thanks for any help.

about smoke

That stove MUST have a min of 8 feet of rise in the pipe to NOT have smoke back into the hopper
the hopper lid must shut tight

you need to chip out the carbon in the burn pot every few days or it will get constipated and not feed pellets very well

Status
Not open for further replies.