Help a newbie with Fisher insert

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

intfxdx

Nov 9, 2017
Glenmont, MD
Hi everyone,

I've recently bought a house and it came with a stove insert as seen below.

I do not know much about stoves, but it would make my wife oh so happy if I could get it to work.

From what I understand, I should be installing a liner-, likely getting a new crown, and of course cleaning the system before anything is done.

My questions are:

- how does one connect the liner to the stove? I read something about a boot, but not sure.
- any liners or kits that people recommend for this type of setup?
- based on the pics, should I be getting new bricks?
- is there any type of maintenance I should be doing to this stove?

Thanks for any help you may be able to provide.

fisher_insert_front.jpg
fisher_insert_doors_opened.jpg fisher_insert_top.jpg fisher_insert_inside.jpg

I moved your thread into the classic stove area where folks most familiar with your equipment are most likely to see it.

That said, your third picture shows that the stove has no collar at the exit and instead a damper? Is that correct? If so, I’m afraid I am not familiar with how that can be attached to a liner shy of having a collar added and the damper removed.

A standard appliance adapter with notches for the damper bar workd fine then attach it with some angle brackets.

A standard appliance adapter with notches for the damper bar workd fine then attach it with some angle brackets.

Didn’t know it would be ok to notch the adapter for the damper.

Thanks

Didn’t know it would be ok to notch the adapter for the damper.

Thanks
Yeah no problem we do it on all of them we do. The only other option is a boot ontop of the stove.

Nice fireplace, I have one that looks exactly like that in my living room! We bought a boot adaptor and mounted it to the top of our stove. I bought an 8" insulated flexible liner and installed it myself (rancher) and attached it to the boot, which was attached to the top of the stove. Works GREAT, we get really good draw up the chimney and it really cranks out some heat! I used some high temp silicone to make it air tight, but the first really hot fire seemed to melt the silicone away. I'm not too worried about a little air leak, because the chimney draws very well... any air leaks would be pulled, rather than pushing any CO out.

I found that I struggled to control intake air, so I bought some very thin Nomex insulation (meant for BBQ grills) and ran a thin stretch around the side and top of the door opening, as well as on the right door where it overlaps the left door. By doing that, I had complete control over my intake, which allowed me to be very specific about my stove temps.

Yes, I would go to my local hardware store and buy a box of new firebrick. Those are crumbling and look like they have lived their full life expectancy. It'll make it a lot easier when cleaning out ash. They aren't very expensive at all.

• Spoon059: Thanks for info. Do you know where you got the boot from? How about the 8" liner? I see different makers out there and prefer to go with something that works already (yours), so if you have any information to that effect, it'd be great.

I too live in a ranch style home and this stove is in the lower level of a walkout basement. I get up on the roof all the time to blow leaves and clean my gutters, so I'm thinking of doing it myself as well.
  • Bholler: thanks for the appliance adapter suggestion. Would you happen to have a picture of how the adapter is secured to the stove?

I've cleaned the stove inside and out and it's looking much better already. I'm getting new bricks this week and hoping to get the liner and boot sometime over the next month. It seems that an 8" liner with insulation is what I'm looking for, attached to a boot or notched appliance adapter. I've seen some comments elsewhere on this site that suggest a 6" liner working, but I haven't confirmed this; obviously this would be advantageous, as it's cheaper.

Thanks in advance, and thanks to all those who share so much knowledge on this site. I've now read hundreds of posts and comments all over this forum and I feel so much more informed than when I posted my question originally. I have MUCH to go, but I can't wait to fire up the stove. I'm hoping it to be a Christmas present for my wife; fingers crossed. :)

• Spoon059: Thanks for info. Do you know where you got the boot from? How about the 8" liner? I see different makers out there and prefer to go with something that works already (yours), so if you have any information to that effect, it'd be great.

I too live in a ranch style home and this stove is in the lower level of a walkout basement. I get up on the roof all the time to blow leaves and clean my gutters, so I'm thinking of doing it myself as well.
  • Bholler: thanks for the appliance adapter suggestion. Would you happen to have a picture of how the adapter is secured to the stove?
I've cleaned the stove inside and out and it's looking much better already. I'm getting new bricks this week and hoping to get the liner and boot sometime over the next month. It seems that an 8" liner with insulation is what I'm looking for, attached to a boot or notched appliance adapter. I've seen some comments elsewhere on this site that suggest a 6" liner working, but I haven't confirmed this; obviously this would be advantageous, as it's cheaper.

Thanks in advance, and thanks to all those who share so much knowledge on this site. I've now read hundreds of posts and comments all over this forum and I feel so much more informed than when I posted my question originally. I have MUCH to go, but I can't wait to fire up the stove. I'm hoping it to be a Christmas present for my wife; fingers crossed. :)
There is absolutly no reason to use a boot an appliace adapter is cheaper easier and works better. And yes there are some here that claim almost all fishers work fine on 6". But in my experince many do not. Most work very well on 7" though.

Sorry brother, I don't remember for either one! They were both bought off the internet though. I researched for almost an entire year before I bought mine. The hardest part was busting out the old damper and opening up the throat to allow the liner to go down. That just required hacking at the metal throat with a 4" grinder and then busting out the bricks to allow the liner down. I never made a cap for the firebox though, I just installed a cap at the top of the chimney. If I ever take the insert out again, I plan to put some Ruxol in the lower portion, just above the firebox to act as a cap.