Q&A Help! Barometric Pressure affect stove???

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

QandA

Staff member
Nov 27, 2012
Question:

Will barometric pressure have an effect on the operation of my wood stove or is it wind speed that is the major concern when trying to coax optimum heat from my stove?

The only time my soapstone stove (Hearthstone, Mansfield) runs up to 550 or 600 degrees is when there is a slight breeze. Otherwise the temperature stays at the maximum 400 and thats where it stays unless I notice the flag in the yard starting to move then there's a direct correlation to the increase in the temperature output with the whisper of wind movement.

Anyone else notice this? How do I explain to the wife that if the air isn't moving this expensive stove won't heat the area that I said it would heat and we all may have to gather around it to stay warm when it's only putting out 400 degrees and the temp out of doors is zero with no air movement. Is this just my stove? The draft is excellent never any smoke in the house. Like I said haven't had a lot of windy days and the stove going at the same time. Heavy damp still days seem to limit stove ability also. Are we at the mercy of barometric pressure or are my thoughts wrong headed?

Answer:

You are correct in noting these differences. The effects can vary depending on stove, chimney and location.

For instance, wind can either HELP the draft (as in your case) or HURT the draft. This can be understood by thinking about how wind hits the top of the chimney. In some cases, it comes over a hill, roof or trees and acts as either a cover over the chimney or even sends a downdraft Down the chimney causing the stove to puff into the room.

In other cases, wind can pass over the top of the chimney in such a way as to actually help the chimney pull harder - the wind in effect powers the chimney. This appears to be the fact in your installation.

Yes, warmer and more humid days often make the draft weaker, especially if the chimney is marginal (which a large percentage are). These effects can be somewhat tamed by proper installation including: 1. Less stovepipe elbows 2. Furnace cement in all stovepipe seams 3. proper chimney cross-sectional area (not oversized) 4. Plenty of combustion air for stove 5. Proper chimney height However, in the end you can't fight Mother Nature so It's good to be aware of these differences.

One point is that when it is warmer, your house may not need as much heat so the cooler stove will match.

Another hint for stoves with bypasses is to leave the bypass open longer or constantly on warmer days.

Status
Not open for further replies.