help chimney liner

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

gregbesia

Feeling the Heat
Jan 26, 2009
central CT
Hi. I need help with ss liner size. I have a small 1200 sq ft ranch with fireplace in center of the house . Just bought a new englander 13nci insert from Lowes. To my horror I discovered that my chimney is only 6 by 10.5 inches ID . Englander recommends a 6 inch liner, but because old tiles are not evenly lined in the chimney, I think 5 inches dia. would be more realistic size for ss liner. Chimney is approx 16 ft tall . Has anyone seen the same problem ? What should I do at this point ? Is ovalizing the liner an option, but then how about the draft , connection to stove , cleaning ??? Please , can someone help before my wife kills me for spending all that money for an insert that sits in the garage. Thanks

It is possible that you could get by with a 5.5" inch liner but check with England Stove Works customer support. I use a 5.5" with success with their 30-NC but I have a 21 foot liner. Measure the hole in the top of the stove body at the base of the flue collar. On the 30-NC that hole is exactly 5.5" diameter even though the collar welded over it is six inch.

Footnote: In the worst case Lowe's takes returns no questions asked in my experience.

thanks BrotherBart. Yes , that hole is 5.5 inches diameter but how do You connect the liner to the stove. Do I need some kind of adapter ?

You tell the folks when you order the liner kit that you need a appliance adapter to fit it to a 6" flue collar. But be sure and talk to ESW first. I don't know how well a 5.5" flex liner is going to draft with a 16" flue.

Already called ESW this morning. After puting me on hold for 2 minutes, a really nice tech told me that after speaking to their engeneer , in his opinion I should be fine. I would be willing to try 5.5 inch liner , but Im really worried that it will not fit in my chimney.What is the OD on 5.5 liner? About 5.75 inches? When I look down my chimney I can see when the tiles end , right before smoke shelf , there is another obstuction? , almost like a small ledge, further making the opening smaller , maybe by another .5 inch . I took a long pipe and tried to break that of , but so far , no luck. Any ideas? Thank You

Take a look at my signature. I think your 13 will draft fine with a 5.5" liner, getting it to fit down your chimney is
another story.

Im still a newbie but wouldnt an oval liner be a possibility.

If the 5.5 is a tight fit, first ask ESW about ovalizing a 5.5, then ask the liner manufacturer about the price for ovalizing. It might not be that bad. I though about having my 6" ovalized the last 6' and the manufacturer said it would cost $20, so if your whole liner is only 20'...

Would it not be simpler to break out the clay tile liner and place a 6" stainless in it's place? That is what the stainless liner is intended to do - replace the clay units. You don't have to put it in clay tiles, and if the tiles are going to cause a problem, then have them broken out. If an acceptable liner will fit down them, then save the work, but if the stainless liner won't fit, the clay doesn't need to stay.

Thanks oconnor for Your idea. Now a silly question , how do I break the clay liner ?

The guys that break out flue tiles use a device that spins and breaks them up. A job strictly for pros. And that liner will have to be insulated for sure after you do that. Get something like a can around 5.25" round and see if it will go through there.

Status
Not open for further replies.