Help choosing stove

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

KB90

Nov 26, 2021
Central Illinois
Please help advise on proper wood stove. We will be building a new home, and our main focus would be occasional heating with the stove, as well as a guaranteed backup heat with a power outage.

Details of the home are 2,000 sq foot, very well insulated ranch with an open concept.

It must be well built, reliable, efficient, and prefer something that can allow a fairly close clearance to the wall if we decide not to install a fancy brick or tile backsplash behind. As far as cost, it’s not a major issue as we were either spending the money on a fireplace or a wood stove, so it will be a wash either way. Thanks!

A Zero Clearance stove can go right in the wall with framing around it. But they have fans. I have one and have regular power outages so I asked the manufacturer who told me not to worry if the power goes out when I have a fire in it. But I generally do not light a fire when the power is out.

A free standing stove will have requirements for how close it can be to flammable walls etc. Those are in the manuals which you can find on line. I ended up making a spread sheet for the stoves I was interested in. My original idea was to build an alcove but there were few stoves that would fit the space restrictions and not stick out into the room too far so I went with the ZC.

Besides tile on the walls you can also use sheet metal on spacers so air can flow behind and cool the metal. Some installs using that look really nice.

Please help advise on proper wood stove.

There are several good stoves on the market KB90. Everybody has their favorites. Almost every brand will have a model or 3 that will heat a well insulated 2000 sqft home. Are there a few you are intetested in? Any aesthetic preferences? Given a choice of a few, its much easier to respond regarding the pros & cons of those.

There are several good stoves on the market KB90. Everybody has their favorites. Almost every brand will have a model or 3 that will heat a well insulated 2000 sqft home. Are there a few you are intetested in? Any aesthetic preferences? Given a choice of a few, its much easier to respond regarding the pros & cons of those.
Thanks for your response. More of a modern look if we had to be particular.. Large glass. Something that will allow for possibly makeup air from outside as how tightly built newer homes are.

Quadrafire and Lopi make good stoves with close clearances. In the event of a power outage, the stove room will be the coziest with the farthest bedroom being the chilliest. A stove in the 2-2.5 cu. ft range sounds like it will suffice. These stoves will want a 15-16' tall flue system. If the total flue height will be less than 15ft, get an easy breathing stove from Regency, Pacific Energy, Osburn.

Reactions: Hearthstone 99
Tiles on a stud+drywall wall do not decrease the required clearances to the first combustibles (paper drywall facing or studs).

You'll get more heat out of a free standing stove when there is a power outage. But the stove takes more space in your room.

I have a preference, so my point of view is slanted to that. For example, say you have prostrate cancer and talk to several doctors. The surgeon will give you a surgical perspective. One specializing in radiation will give you that perspective, accentuating the pluses of whatever slant, etc. It's not a right or wrong choice, but a what works for you. So it's up to you to do your research and choose what fits and doesn't.
Take your time and talk to lots of people that have stoves.
Find out their likes and dislikes.
-There are steel stoves and cast iron stoves.
-There are domestic built and european.
European stoves may have pluses in innovation and style, with the consideration that Europeans may cut their wood to a shorter length than is standard here. Not an issue if your doing/cutting your own firewood. It may be an issue if purchasing firewood.
-Then there are obviously various size stoves. You can burn small, hot fires in larger stoves, so going bigger is maybe better than too small.
-Catalytic vs non-cat, of what Vermont Casting calls Flex Burn, which is a choice of both in one stove.
Catalytic stoves need very well seasoned wood, or the ceramic honeycomb of the catalytic element will plug up much more quickly. They can be cleaned, carefully brushed out and (smoking) pipe cleaners or tiny brushes for paint spray guns used to poke out the crude. The elements are sacrificial and need replacing every three, four, or plus years, depending. We ordered one last month to have on hand for our stove, at approx. $200.
-How does it function, or how do you interact with it.
There are front load, side load and top load. Our first stove was a box stove. Long and narrow, front load, and burned front to back, no ash pan. Which meant when reloading, the hot coals were in the back, and needed to be pulled forward before reloading. It was a dusty stove in that respect, and ash was removed by shoveling it out and dumping the shovel full of ash into an ash bucket. Very dusty overall, no mater how careful one was. Now there are dedicated ash vacuums, however, they are very messy to empty and clean the filters. So consider loading, and ash removal. My preference is top load, with an ash pan. Do several mental walk throughs of bringing wood in, loading the stove, reloading the stove, removing ash from the stove/house.
-another consideration is flue size. 6" or 8", And chimney design.
Our stove sits in front of the chimney chase, requiring a short is of 3' from the stove top and then a 90° return to the chimney. This ruled out one stove we considered that required at least 6' of rise before a 90° bend to maintain its burn efficiency.
-Then there is looks or aesthetics.
It is going to be there year round.
Windows, enamel finishes, etc. Windows get ashed up, but self clean if the internal flow of air washes the glass when burning. Enamel is wonderful looking year round. Typically found on cast iron stoves. It can chip if you drop a top load lid, although there is touch up paints for those slips if ever needed. Black cast on the other hand needs stove blacked once or twice a heating season to keep it black and nice looking. Then the first firing afterwards often smells or slightly smokes for a few minutes.
-As mentioned above, installation with a new build has special code requirements for under the hearth, under the tile (like micor board) which is probable a trade name. Cement board, often used under tile, is not code here anymore for under wood stoves, hasn't been in over twenty years, so talk to someone who knows codes in your area.

Good points to think about.

Two remarks in response:
Cats should not be cleaned with pipe brushes.
And most modern stoves (not only cat stoves) need very dry wood due to the reburn design.

In addition, new construction is often very much air tight, and the wood stove will probably need an outside air source for proper draft.

My father used to smoke a pipe, and used the soft covered flexible pipe cleaners.
The point being whatever you use, they can be gently cleaned.
Of course the older they are the more fragile the ceramic becomes.

Last edited:
It's not about the ceramic structure (alone). It's about the (atomic scale) active particles on that structure. The manufacturer (of my cat) even says to not use compressed air.

It's not about the ceramic structure (alone). It's about the (atomic scale) active particles on that structure. The manufacturer (of my cat) even says to not use compressed air.
I think they say to not exceed 35 psi. The canned air for electrical components can work for this. The lighter pressure air can be beneficial for blowing ash out of cells, particularly at the back of the cat.

I think they say to not exceed 35 psi. The canned air for electrical components can work for this. The lighter pressure air can be beneficial for blowing ash out of cells, particularly at the back of the cat.

I agree. I wrote compressor air but phone autocorrect messed it up.

However, a soft brush imparts way more force on the active layer (and alumina washcoat) than compressed air from a can.

Bottom line, I suggest to read the instructions/manual from the cat mfg and not some guy (me) online.

So an update to my original post. Looking at hearthstone green mountain 60 and a blaze king princess 32. Both in stock not far from where we live. I won’t be hearing with wood full time, but I appreciate having something that works well and lasts. I like both but have heard negative things about the green mountain product line.

My choice would definitely be the princess. You just need to be ok with running a cat stove. The BK Ashford looks better IMO but if the princess is in stock I’d buy it before someone else does.

Pacific energy are good stoves too.

My choice would definitely be the princess. You just need to be ok with running a cat stove. The BK Ashford looks better IMO but if the princess is in stock I’d buy it before someone else does.

Pacific energy are good stoves too.
What do you mean about OK with running a cat stove? I heard the blaze king was quite easy to operate?

What do you mean about OK with running a cat stove? I heard the blaze king was quite easy to operate?
A cat stove is not hard to operate, but ease of operation is a relative thing. It means something different to an engineer than a novice wood burner. A cat stove is more complex, it has more moving parts and more to maintain. One needs to be mindful of when to open/close the bypass for example. The catalyst needs a certain amount of care to not shock or poison it and it needs fly ash cleaned off to keep the flow of smoke through it clear. Just like for non-cats, there are different designs for cat stoves, so this is a general statement. Some designs work better than others.

Reactions: Highbeam
And there is the cost that you have to spend on a new cat every 10 000 - 12 000 hrs - or so. (lots of debate about cat lifetime, the point is that it won't last forever).

There are many happy cat-burners (no animals were harmed in this statement, other than the occasional bug in the firewood). And there are many happy non-cat burners.

In Stock is a big thing these days. Support nearby should not be needed, but is great if it's there.

One note regarding "not heating full time" - in my view, a BK does best if it is needed for 24 hrs or more. If I only need heat for 10 hours, I won't bother firing it up. I think this is to some extent true for any stove, but in my view more so for a BK.
They just like to chug away at a load, continuously, at the pace you need (heat output you need). That may result in burn times of 10 hrs or of 36 hrs. But given that the start of the BK requires a bit of attention (engage cat at the appropriate time etc.), and the start of any stove takes some time (before stable heat output is reached), I would think carefully about how you think you'll be burning.

If it's evenings and weekends, my suggestion is that a BK may not be ideal for your situation.
Nothing wrong with BKs - I have one and cannot be more happy about it. But this is a note of caution. After all, we want you to be happy with whatever you are getting. Other folks may have a different opinion.

And there is the cost that you have to spend on a new cat every 10 000 - 12 000 hrs - or so. (lots of debate about cat lifetime, the point is that it won't last forever).

There are many happy cat-burners (no animals were harmed in this statement, other than the occasional bug in the firewood). And there are many happy non-cat burners.

In Stock is a big thing these days. Support nearby should not be needed, but is great if it's there.

One note regarding "not heating full time" - in my view, a BK does best if it is needed for 24 hrs or more. If I only need heat for 10 hours, I won't bother firing it up. I think this is to some extent true for any stove, but in my view more so for a BK.
They just like to chug away at a load, continuously, at the pace you need (heat output you need). That may result in burn times of 10 hrs or of 36 hrs. But given that the start of the BK requires a bit of attention (engage cat at the appropriate time etc.), and the start of any stove takes some time (before stable heat output is reached), I would think carefully about how you think you'll be burning.

If it's evenings and weekends, my suggestion is that a BK may not be ideal for your situation.
Nothing wrong with BKs - I have one and cannot be more happy about it. But this is a note of caution. After all, we want you to be happy with whatever you are getting. Other folks may have a different opinion.
Well if that’s the case could someone chime in on the green mountain 60 stove and a little bit about it’s problems or if it’s a good stove still? Iv read a lot of issues with unhappy people.

The GM 60 is a newer stove with some bugs being worked out. If you want simple and reliable with a good track record, there are better options.

I'm fairly certain you can operate a catalytic stove....my 10 year old granddaughter has been doing it for a few years now. Then again she also knows how to add hyperlinks to Excel spreadsheets....in a GoogleDrive!

I have no problem loading and burning my BK for just a quick shot of heat in the evening. You just put less wood in. As a full time wood heater, there are months of burning that just require a small squirt of heat. The BK has never complained about it.

I spend just as much time getting my other noncat stove up and running at a safe cruise temperature as I do the cat stove. All stoves require some effort at the cold start. Now, it is more complicated with the cat stove but I feel like the lack of need to fiddle with the stove from that point forward is an advantage over the noncat that needs some messing with as the fuel load dwindles to prevent smoke.

I have no problem loading and burning my BK for just a quick shot of heat in the evening. You just put less wood in. As a full time wood heater, there are months of burning that just require a small squirt of heat. The BK has never complained about it.

I spend just as much time getting my other noncat stove up and running at a safe cruise temperature as I do the cat stove. All stoves require some effort at the cold start. Now, it is more complicated with the cat stove but I feel like the lack of need to fiddle with the stove from that point forward is an advantage over the noncat that needs some messing with as the fuel load dwindles to prevent smoke.
I agree both types of stoves need a little time to get to cruising temp but I don’t have to mess with my non cat as the fuel dwindles to prevent smoke. it burns clean right down to the coals at it’s lowest setting.

I’d go with the BK, lots of happy customers here.

I have never messed with any of my noncats after getting it up to temp and shut back. Honestly I don't see much difference at all having run both. You have an extra step with a cat stove but it's all in about the same time frame.

But cat stoves do take more money to maintain than a good durable noncat

Have a BK Ashford, simple to operate and allows me to run on low in shoulder seasons & not overheat the house. Efficiency of low burn will likely offset the cat replacement costs. I would go for the BK, if the clearances work.