Help Converting Metal Box Fireplace to Free Standing Wood Stove

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

nhmthiker

Nov 28, 2008
New England
Hello there - I am looking to convert my existing Metal Box Fireplace which runs through a chase on the side of the house (NOT a masonary chimney).

I would like to go with a hearthstone or Vermont Castings wood stove.

What type of liner do I need to replace the current pipe? A woodstore guy came and looked at it and he said I have pipe rated for fireplace heat (1700 degrees) and that I needed special pipe rated for woodstove heat (2100 degrees).

Thank you for your help/advice.

Greetings. A limited range of inserts are permitted in ZC fireplaces. They have to be tested and certified in this application. Your woodstove guy is correct about the pipe. You will need a liner rated to the higher temp. Did he recommend an insert?

We'll need more info. If you have the make and model of the zero clearance box that might work. If you can provide the opening size and depth that would also be good. Pictures are always welcome.

Hi again,

The guy told me the only insert I could put in there is a gas insert. Not even the smallest wood insert would fit.

I will try to attach a picture. I am not sure of the make the model number is on a tag inside the doors - RF36EI.

Thank you for your help.

Attachments

• afireplace.jpg
    afireplace.jpg
    13.2 KB · Views: 239
Do a search (here and also on Google) for "hearth stove". You may have the option of placing a stove on the hearth in front of the fireplace, and re-lining the "chimney" with a liner. Or not... but its something to look in to.

The guy told me the only insert I could put in there is a gas insert. Not even the smallest wood insert would fit.
He could be correct. What is the manufacturer? What is the opening size and depth.

Hello again,

I believe it is a heritage but I don't have the paperwork. It is a 36" wide and 16" deep.

I am hoping to get a hearthstone tribute... when you have a woodstove is it necessary to burn outside air? Is it expensive to pipe it for outside air burning?

Thank you,
Joe

Outside air depends on the house. It's not always a necessity to connect outside air, especially if the house is not tightly sealed.

You might want to look at a Homestead instead. It's tested to be installed in a zc fireplace with a reline. Although you may not need outside air, the hearth will have to be built up to meet the heat resistance spec for the stove. The hearth R-value is fairly high for this stove.

You need to completely remove the fireplace and the fireplace chimney and start from scratch. The only thing you reuse is the hole in the roof. Check the "Alcove" installation requirements for the stove you want before getting in too deep. You will also need to properly treat the floor(R-value)before you put a stove on it. What your looking at is a big job, not impossible, but big. The price tag soup to nuts will be 4-6 thousand by the time your done.

Status
Not open for further replies.