Help deciding on a ZC

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Holden

Nov 4, 2017
Indianapolis
Hello,

We are getting ready to start building our new home and we have a wood burning fireplace in the plans. Our home will be about a 2200 sf ranch, with a basement (unfinished to start), but we will eventually finish. We went to the fireplace store today to look at ZC options and the three that they had they had us look at were: Heat & Glo Rutherford, Exclaim and the Quadrafire 7100.

Our family room and kitchen are open and connected. The family room will have 10 ft ceilings and the kitchen will have 9ft. We went into the store looking for something more like the Rutherford or Exclaim, but neither have a blower option. I really wanted something with the blower to help move the heat around. We didn't go in looking for something to use to heat the house for the winter, but more for the aesthetics that would provide a little bit of heat.

After talking to the salesman about the quadrafire, I almost like this option better for the heating efficiency. My husband on the other hand was not in love with the look, I think it was too traditional for him. I was drawn to the fact that we can run a duct down to the basement with the quadrafire. I also liked the fact that the quadrafire can be used as an open burn to get us more of the feeling that we were looking for. After looking at the reviews for the 7100, I'm almost concerned that it would provide too much heat for us.

Are there any models along the line of the Heat & Glo Rutherford or exclaim that have the blower option? We have about $7500 built into our budget for the fireplace to give you and idea of what we want to spend. That being said, I don't want to spend that much, if I don't have too.

Hello,

We are getting ready to start building our new home and we have a wood burning fireplace in the plans. Our home will be about a 2200 sf ranch, with a basement (unfinished to start), but we will eventually finish. We went to the fireplace store today to look at ZC options and the three that they had they had us look at were: Heat & Glo Rutherford, Exclaim and the Quadrafire 7100.

Our family room and kitchen are open and connected. The family room will have 10 ft ceilings and the kitchen will have 9ft. We went into the store looking for something more like the Rutherford or Exclaim, but neither have a blower option. I really wanted something with the blower to help move the heat around. We didn't go in looking for something to use to heat the house for the winter, but more for the aesthetics that would provide a little bit of heat.

After talking to the salesman about the quadrafire, I almost like this option better for the heating efficiency. My husband on the other hand was not in love with the look, I think it was too traditional for him. I was drawn to the fact that we can run a duct down to the basement with the quadrafire. I also liked the fact that the quadrafire can be used as an open burn to get us more of the feeling that we were looking for. After looking at the reviews for the 7100, I'm almost concerned that it would provide too much heat for us.

Are there any models along the line of the Heat & Glo Rutherford or exclaim that have the blower option? We have about $7500 built into our budget for the fireplace to give you and idea of what we want to spend. That being said, I don't want to spend that much, if I don't have too.
I am not familiar with the two models you mention, but take a look at Kozy Heat and Pacific Energy for a more contemporary look. The Pacific Energy models have remote heat ducts and I believe the Kozy Heat does as well. Your budget seems about right depending on the size of the fireplace and the materials you choose. Good luck!

A few thoughts. Ranch house are somewhat harder to heat due to their long layout. It's worth considering pulling colder air via insulated ducting to the intake of the blower for the fireplace. That will start a circulation loop that will move heat towards the far end of the house, usually the end of hall where which the bedrooms are located. The budget is ok if that is just for the fireplace and chimney installation and not the carpentry. If you want to save some money here take a look at these units: Osburn Stratford, Pacific Energy FP30.
To decide how much heat is too much we need to know how well insulated will the walls and ceiling be? Is 2200 sq ft for just the main floor or for the main and basement? Will the basement be insulated? If you can post a floorplan that too will be helpful.

I have an RSF Focus 320 ZC. I like it but it definately is picky about seasoned wood. My dad has a Pacific Energy stove which he also really likes, and it seems more forgiving to wood that isn't 100% seasoned. I would look at both, my girlfriend really liked the focus for the clean look.

Sent from my LG-H812 using Tapatalk

Well seasoned, dry wood is what makes for nice fires and clean chimneys.

Reactions: Squisher
I know, I'm not condoning burning with wet wood. I guess I worded it poorly. I seem to have more issues with glass darkening on the focus than my dad does with his PE. The wood was marginal, low 20s instead of sub 20s. When its all you got you burn what you Have. I have 2 year old oak I'm burning now that is much better. Just sometimes you're forced to burn wood that isn't as dry as you'd like. It was just an observation I've had in comparing the two stoves.

Sent from my LG-H812 using Tapatalk

Yes, most of us have had that happen at one time or another. I had some maple that got wet under the top cover a few years back. It didn't burn as well and gunked up the chimney.

We built a new house two years ago and went with the FP 30. Very happy with the fireplace and it heats well. If you don't think you want the heat then just build smaller fires. Having a new home, with new paint, good windows and good insulation I would never consider burning "open", One thing to consider is the placement of the fireplace and the placement of the TV. Fireplaces tend to be the focal point of the room, making TV location tricky. After moving the TV 4 times in my living room it ended up above my fireplace, which is the last place I wanted it.

Thanks everyone, I will look at the other options suggested. The house will be 2200 sq on the main floor, the basement will be an additional 1700 sq feet. Again, our main goal was not to heat the house with the fireplace, but more for the looks and the ambiance that comes with an open fire, but after seeing the 7100, I'm now second guessing that.

We are building new with similar goals to yours - not our main heating source but we like a real fire. We went with the 7100. Haven't moved in yet but all the trades keep mentioning how much they like the looks of it so there's that!

We are building new with similar goals to yours - not our main heating source but we like a real fire. We went with the 7100. Haven't moved in yet but all the trades keep mentioning how much they like the looks of it so there's that!

Did you guys opt to run the duct work to heat other areas of the house?

We did not. Our dealer told us that those who ran it elsewhere generally complain that it robs the main room (where the 7100 is located) of heat.