Help deciding please!

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

veggiemama

May 10, 2023
Vermont
Hello,

We have been using a Harmon pellet stove for 11 years… the problem has always been when the power goes out in the winter! We don’t lose power a lot, but after a 4 day outage this winter I would really like something more reliable then our generator that keeps dying. We were given a woodstove that needs the glass repaired and a bit of rust taken care of but should be good otherwise
(Sorry don’t remember specs). My big questions are

1) is it worth installing a chimney pipe set up to replace our pellet stove? Or just in addition to if we move the pellet stove elsewhere.

2) The nice chimney guy that came out to give us an estimate on installing the woodstove thought it was better to go with a battery back up pellet stove. I just worry about something failing with that too and it would also be a lot of money…

3) my big question: I see DIY chimney pipe kits and wonder if it’s really safe for us to do?? We built an addition ourselves but my husband is nervous about messing with fire as a DIY’er… 🤣 Can’t blame him!

I have read lots of the pellet vs wood threads on here… still can’t decide! It really comes down to if we can install ourselves I think… or find a super reliable back up.

Thank you!!

Just to clarify: our pellet stove is not wired for a back up battery, and the reason the chimney guy was hesitant to install a woodstove chimney was because due to the layout of our house and the power line it would have to be on an outer wall through the ceiling , at the bottom of the the slopes roof…

As noted, a proper woodstove chimney system is expensive. It can safely be done DIY by someone who does their homework, plans well, and follows directions. That could save a couple of thousands in installation costs.
In order to judge its value, we need to know more about the used woodstove's condition and its installation requirements. Can you post some pictures of it showing the exterior of the stove and the interior of the firebox?

here are some pics: We are hoping it’s mostly surface rust from being stored in a basement and can be sanded off without problems. It’s a Regency stove… one crack in glass. Sorry for bad pics but it is in storage and has cobwebs too!

BE8DD97F-6E64-4A52-906D-C917894D0DCC.jpegA0CDF4D9-BF61-4B6C-A07F-EB1E627CC7D6.jpeg9A51D359-3238-4323-AD68-6CAB92852BA1.jpeg

That's an F2100M. It's a medium-sized stove with a 6" flue collar. If it is in good working condition, then with a clean-up, new glass, gaskets, and fresh paint it could be a good stove. The DIY requirements will depend on the house setup, but it can be done.

My thoughts…. As small new 1500-2000w inverter generator would be my choice.

Reason being cost. 500-600$ gets a decent generator. Honda model is like $1300. Keeps your phones charged power other essentials like a modem, WiFi router TV;) in addition to the pellet stove. it will run quite a while on 5-10 gallons of gas.

Wood stoves are great but the cost of the installation keeping a good supply of dry wood add up. Not to mention the space the stove takes up.

I just ran wires to new outlets behind my refrigerators with the plan being to run them to an extension cord that can run out to a generator. Same thing could be done with a pellet stove. I would probably get an APU battery backup (big enough that would allow me me time to switch outlets and get the generator out and connected).

locate the heat source you will use the most in the best location to distribute heat. Pellet stoves are much easier to relocate.

I agree with other posters, a generator is the lowest cost solution. If your power is normally reliable a properly sized Uninterruptable Power Supply (UPS) for the pellet stove will cover short term outages. They typically have surge protection built in. There are some things to know to keep a generator reliable when you need it. Everytime you use it, run it out of gas or shut off the fuel and drain the carburetor fuel bowl. If you do not the ethanol in the gas will eventually turn into a gummy substance that will prevent the generator from running properly. Old gas is the number one killer of small gas engines. If you do not want to run the fuel out and drain the fuel bowl, buy ethanol free gas (puregas.org) has listings of stations who sell it). If you need to run for an extended period, buy regular pump gas but when the need it over, drain the pump gas and run a tank of ethanol free through it. Ethanol free gas does not form gum in the fuel system but it does loose octane and eventually evaporates out through carb so draining is still the best but for a generator that is used every 3 months or so its less hassle.

Do note a generator has to be run in an outdoor fully ventilated area. In most cases that is distance away from the pellet stove. Buy a long enough 12 gauge outdoor rated extension cord to run from the generator to the stove.

Owning a wood stove is not of much use unless you have a stack of wood that has been covered and drying for two years. Few people using wood as standby heating source have that wood supply and end up burning green wood. It takes a lot of wood to heat a house for a few days in cold weather.

Reactions: Ashful
Loosing power and still having heat is one issue with a pellet stove. But the wood stove as a solution comes with a new host of issues. You need to feed it with good seasoned wood. Gathering, or buying wood and processing it, is a lot of year round work. Much different life than running the pellet stove.

If you decide to keep the pellet stove. For the stove only, have you looked at battery backup with an inverter. Lithium battery's maintain there charge very well when not being used. I don't know whats available but, I would look to run the stove from battery's for as much as 8 hours. And then run a small generator to recharge it, and power the fridge for a short time.

When we have a long power outage I run small generator every 8 hours just to run the fridge for a 1/2 hour. I have the wood stove for heat.

In this day and age for true off grid security buy a wood stove. You will recoup the investment. Get ahead on your wood and you will have it when needed. We have lost power for 4 days here before and it was not fun. The wood stove is excellent peace of mind. I used just over a cord this season and cut my energy bill in half. Having a well insulated home helps tremendously. I replaced my cord that I used last month $250. Have 4 cords in my rotation good for 3 years.

A 1993 stove will be less efficient than a newer model. It could still be an excellent way to transition toward wood heat. The chimney can be expensive. You have to follow all the directions; some helpful information is not included in most manufacturers' instructions. You can find a good source for the chimney that can provide technical support and answer questions about the installation. If you are working close to power lines, you should have the power company shut them off temporarily for safety.

I agree with other posters, a generator is the lowest cost solution. If your power is normally reliable a properly sized Uninterruptable Power Supply (UPS) for the pellet stove will cover short term outages. They typically have surge protection built in. There are some things to know to keep a generator reliable when you need it. Everytime you use it, run it out of gas or shut off the fuel and drain the carburetor fuel bowl. If you do not the ethanol in the gas will eventually turn into a gummy substance that will prevent the generator from running properly. Old gas is the number one killer of small gas engines. If you do not want to run the fuel out and drain the fuel bowl, buy ethanol free gas (puregas.org) has listings of stations who sell it). If you need to run for an extended period, buy regular pump gas but when the need it over, drain the pump gas and run a tank of ethanol free through it. Ethanol free gas does not form gum in the fuel system but it does loose octane and eventually evaporates out through carb so draining is still the best but for a generator that is used every 3 months or so its less hassle.

Do note a generator has to be run in an outdoor fully ventilated area. In most cases that is distance away from the pellet stove. Buy a long enough 12 gauge outdoor rated extension cord to run from the generator to the stove.

Owning a wood stove is not of much use unless you have a stack of wood that has been covered and drying for two years. Few people using wood as standby heating source have that wood supply and end up burning green wood. It takes a lot of wood to heat a house for a few days in cold weather.
Thank you! Yes good tips… our generator has actually had fuel leaks for the second time now. Something in the engine block cracked, so not a normal issue. Might be from having to be moved to be used but we are not that rough with it. If we go the generator route we may just build a ventilated outside shelter to keep it in…

Loosing power and still having heat is one issue with a pellet stove. But the wood stove as a solution comes with a new host of issues. You need to feed it with good seasoned wood. Gathering, or buying wood and processing it, is a lot of year round work. Much different life than running the pellet stove.

If you decide to keep the pellet stove. For the stove only, have you looked at battery backup with an inverter. Lithium battery's maintain there charge very well when not being used. I don't know whats available but, I would look to run the stove from battery's for as much as 8 hours. And then run a small generator to recharge it, and power the fridge for a short time.

When we have a long power outage I run small generator every 8 hours just to run the fridge for a 1/2 hour. I have the wood stove for heat.
Thank you! Yes my husband and I grew up with wood stoves and had one when we first got together, and I admit we have enjoyed the ease of the pellet stove. There are some things I miss about real wood heat though! Good things to remember though as we go forward…