Help finding a manual for my V C Intrepid II (1987)

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

fespo

Minister of Fire
Dec 14, 2005
South West burbs of Chicago
As in my other post about a wood stove for my greenhouse. I have a V C Intrepid II with 1987 stamped on the inside of the stove. I have searched on the net for a owners manual with no luck. Does anyone have a link were I could find one? Any help with this stove would great. Thanks

I did go to V C web site but when you click 1987 the 1990 manual comes up. I didn't know they were the same all the way through. Oh well I guess you live and learn.

Yeah costs too much to change'em and do the re-testing.

They are different, my has double glass panels one the doors and the manual shows only one glass panel.

EPA says if the change doesn't affect burning characteristics it don't count.

What is the model number of the stove? It should be on the metal plate on the back of the stove. 1987 is not a model for an intrepid 2. A 1990 is, and is still the current model.

Ok on the back of the stove the only number is the serial number and that is 2738. Now on the inside of the stove 1987 is stamped in the back wall. I know the is some difference in the glass and the mounting of the glass panels.

I think it may of been built in 1987 ? That I think is on a tag in the back. What are you specifically looking for. I'm sure that manual is close enough

All of the Intrepid II models are the same regarding installation clearances and operation, so the "1990" manual is sufficient.
The big difference to be aware of is access to the combustor. If you have one of the earliest models, access to the combustor is by removing the rear panel behind the stove, then removing a small panel from the fragile combustor chamber and carefully pulling out the combustor. Myself and others have posted numerous times about different issues and aspects of this stove, so trying searching the forum archives.

From discountstove.com, here are the various Intrepid II models.:

MODEL #1990-1995 INTREPID II
Produced 1997 to present. Has top loading griddle. Has catalytic combustor.

MODEL #2070 INTREPID II
Produced December 1994 to March 1998. Single pane glass and front access for the catalytic combustor.

MODEL #1308 INTREPID II
Produced April 1990 to December 1994. From 1990 to 6-92 the doors had double glass in each door. Warnock Hersey Testing label.
After 7-92 had single pane glass in each door & catalytic access from inside the stove.

MODEL #1303 INTREPID II
Produced July 1987 to March 1990. Catalytic access from the back of the stove & Double pane glass. Geisser testing label.

Other Intrepid Models:
MODEL #1640-1645 INTREPID NC
Produced 2000 to present. No catalytic combustor. No top loading

MODEL # 1302 INTREPID I
Produced July 1982 to June 1988. Has no catalytic.

Status
Not open for further replies.