Help for a New Wood Stove Owner!

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

qesiii

Oct 1, 2015
georgia
Hi everyone. I posted this on another section of the forum, but it wasnt getting any traffic, so I apologize if this is the wrong place, but I think my questions are generic enough...

I bought a house with an Olympic Crest 78. It vents straight up, probably about 30 feet through my house. I would like to make this my primary heat source.

Occasionally I can get the stove pretty hot, other times, not so much. Can anyone point me to an article that explains the basic operation (of a simple wood burning stove, not necessarily mine), what "features" it has and how they work, fire building tips, etc. There is a "hi/low" on the back, 2 front and 1 side door and a lever above the side door. I have never been able to really make a fore last through the night so I can reignite the next morning. Should I be able to?

Also, I have a nice screen I can place when I open the front doors, buy that wouldn't make the hottest fire. Just for ambiance right?

Sorry for the rookie questions, but it is obvious I have found people with a wealth of knowledge.

Lastly, I had the stove cleaned last year before I ever started it. Probably used it 15 times. Should I get it cleaned before this winter?

Thanks again everyone in advance.

If you can manage it, I would try to find a manual for it out on the web. The manual for my Jotul F3 CB had an answer to just about every question you just asked, including fire building and maintaining tips. Heck, the manual to any stove might be helpful to you (except for maybe explaining the features of YOUR stove).

using the screen will allow a lot of air to the fire and it will burn super quick. Yes, thats more for ambiance than efficiency.

I couldn't say whether or not you should clean the stove because i cant see it. But what I will say is also keep in mind the chimney itself (unless thats what you were referring to). I'd have it swept every year. Some might recommend multiple times a year depending on usage.

Hope this helps!

That's a Vermont Castings Defiant knock-off. Here is the manual for that stove: http://www.manualslib.com/products/Vermont-Castings-Defiant-3103692.html
The operation will essentially be the same.

Check if the fireback in the back of the firebox is not cracked. That can easily be broken in such an old stove. When you do a forum search you will also find quite a few threads about the Defiant.

Reactions: davidmsem
Yes, screens are just for ambiance. You may get the hottest fire, but most of the heat will go up the chimney. The problem most new stove owners face is insufficiently dry wood. There are hundreds of threads on this topic on this site. Most wood requires at least one year drying, after if has been cut and split, with some denser woods like oak requiring two years or more. It is very difficult to find sufficiently dry wood for sale, in spite of what the seller claims. The only way to know for sure is to get a moisture meter. They are inexpensive and available at Lowe's or Harbor Freight. I know nothing about the Olympic Crest 78...I hope others can help with that.

Check out woodheat.org, best website ever for someone new to wood heat. It's the website that lead me to this forum as well.

Quick tip: Insurance companies do NOT like you to call your wood stove as your primary heat source. Even if you think of it that way, always tell them you burn wood in addition to your primary heat source. If you can get onto the roof and feel or look inside your chimney, that's the easiest way to see what the condition is for cleaning. The drier your wood, the less cleaning will be needed.

Welcome to the forum ==c==c

Thank you everyone!! You all have been more help than I have found in months of research. I learned about the moist wood last year (the hard way). I actually split a lot last November to get ready for this year, so maybe that helps. Thank you all again for the manual, links and info!!

Status
Not open for further replies.