Help Harman XXV Room Temp

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

HOGG0494

Feb 18, 2015
hidson valley,new york
Hi everyone. Have a harman xxv. 4 yrs now. Always used room temp mode. Earlier this season with room temp mode it just pushes unburnt pellets over the edge at a rapid rate. Seems as if its feeding pellets waaay to fast. In stove temp mode it works perfect. I put a new temp sensor wire in and have it set correctly by harmans instructions.since the stove controls the feed rate in this mode can it be anything else but a problem in the electronic board?

If you turn the temp dial way down does it keep feeding too many pellets, or does it slow way down? Where do you have the temp sensor mounted?

Hi. Yes,even if i turn it down it still feeds the pellets way too fast in room temp mode.i have the temp sensor about 3-4 ft above the floor attatched to the wall. Have had it there since day one(4 + years)i even tried moving the new sensor to different spots.problem only started this year. The last 3 years room temp mode worked perfect

If this is not happening during initial feed during ignition process, then it sure sounds like plugged exhaust channels, or maybe within burn pot, or bad door gasket. Not enough air flow to burn the amount of pellets fed.

Also check teed rate set at approximately 4?

Hi. I have changed the door gasket and taken all the pipes apart and thoroughly cleaned everything.but wouldnt these things happen on either room or stove temp mode?if i run it on stove temp mode it does not do it,only on room temp mode.since room temp mode works the feeder automatically it does not matter if i have it on speed 1 or 5. The stove is controlling feed rate

So in stove mode you can run max heat setting (7 or 8) with feed rate on 4 or 5 and pellets don't over flow burn pot over the next several hours?

Never ran it that high but in stove temp mode i keep feeder at #4 and adjust temp between 4-6 depending on how cold it is out. And no pellets fall off edge
In room temp the stove is controlling everything so you can put max heat and max feed rate and the stove is supposed to regulate it. So no matter where you have settings in room temp does not matter

Your ESP regulates your feed rate in stove temp. So adjusting the feed rate dial in that mode will have no effect on the amount of pellets. Does it feed the right amount of pellets on start up and light correctly? If it is only doing this after start up And everything is actually clean and everything is actually clean then I would think and where you set the feed rate knob seems to have no affect on it then that feed limit switch or potentiometer might be stuck in the high position. You can try blowing it out with some canned air or buying a new one and replacing it or just buying a whole new control board .

Hi. Yes,even if i turn it down it still feeds the pellets way too fast in room temp mode.i have the temp sensor about 3-4 ft above the floor attatched to the wall. Have had it there since day one(4 + years)i even tried moving the new sensor to different spots.problem only started this year. The last 3 years room temp mode worked perfect

Next I would check the wiring going from the temp sensor on the back of the stove to the controller board. Checking the connections at the control board. If that is in order then it sounds like everything is working except the ability for the control board to regulate the pellet feed based on room temp. Which means the control board is suspect. But then you already suspected that.