Help ID these splits?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

ThereAreGoats

Mar 31, 2022
Brooklyn
Hi all,

Can someone help me ID these woods? My firewood delivery was supposed to be all Ash but only the split on the right looks to be correct. Or does late season ash have all this coloration and smaller pores? It is a bit wet FYI

R

IMG_6917.jpeg

Right to left Ash, cherry, Oak

Reactions: stoveliker
Ash and cherry season quick. Oak will take at least 2 summers split small.

Looks obvious to me. Maybe 20 yrs of experience? I could be wrong. Wouldn't be the first time. Let see what someone else thinks.

Here are a few more photos of the middle and left piece. First two are bark and end of the center split, second two are bark and end of the left split.

IMG_6921.jpeg IMG_6922.jpeg IMG_6923.jpeg IMG_6924.jpeg

I just need to make 1000% certain before getting back to my firewood guy that this stuff isn't some stage of ash I'm not familiar with. Can anyone confirm based on the new pics?

Not ash. Ash is good firewood but oak is even better.
I have plenty of oak because I got a batch last spring for seasoning. It'll be good by the fall. Also, my little stove can't take too much oak before it overheats (even stopped down), so I have to rely on ash as my base. Which I'm fine with. But the bigger problem is that I separate my woods and have no more room for the super hard stuff. Time to finally build that woodshed...

I don't think any of those are ash. My opinion is your 2nd set of pics are showing both pieces as cherry. 1st pic far right I can't tell from the pic but it looks like red oak possibly.

How can you tell the cherry from the oak? FWIW, I don't see any perpindicular rays in any of the end grain.
Cherry has a distinctive aroma, and possibly visible "lenticels," raised horizontal lines in the bark.
The "rays" in Oak may be obvious in some cases, almost invisible in others. In the second set of pics, I can see the rays when I click on it to zoom in.
Let see what someone else thinks.
Those would be my guesses as well.
I don't think any of those are ash
We didn't see a split-grain pic of the split on the right, but the bark looks to me like it might be White Ash..

I've burned some Cherry that has been in the stack for two summers, and it still wasn't dry enough; Gunked the glass and dogged the cat a bit. Some splits felt too heavy to be dry, as well. So while some say that Cherry dries fast, that hasn't been the case for me, with stacks in the woods where the wind isn't as strong.
Ash seems to dry at the same rate as some other medium-high output woods (except Red Oak,) but it definitely starts at a lower moisture content than some others, so it gets under 20% sooner.
Small splits will dry faster, but will also gas faster in the stove, and that may contribute to your stove getting hotter than you want. Bigger splits of dense woods like Oak will burn in a slower, more controlled way, in my experience.
I haven't run a hybrid stove, so I'm unsure what might be "overheating" on your stove. Do you have vigorous secondary flames, leading to a stovetop temp that's too high, is there a cat thermometer that's going to 1500, or does the stovetop over the cat get hotter than the rest of the top?