Help ID these wood eating bugs!

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

andym

Feeling the Heat
Feb 6, 2020
Hicksville, Ohio
They showed up a week or two ago. They are drilling holes all over my stack of mulberry. It was cut and stacked (no cover) in March. They haven't touched the dry wood stacks nearby only the greener stuff. You can literally hear them working inside the splits. Sounds weird! The flying insect is about 1/2 inch long. It is shiny black except for its hind segment which varies from dark to light red. The holes are 1/8 to 1/4 inch in size. Some holes are round some are oblong.
I don't want to spray my woodpile with insecticide, but I definitely don't want them attacking the other 10 plus cords of dry wood either. Should I be concerned or just let nature have its course?

20210719_203033.jpg20210719_202938.jpg20210719_202941.jpg20210719_202843.jpg20210719_203243.jpg 20210719_203243.jpg

Not sure what they are, but I suspect that as the wood dries they won't be a problem. I wouldn't do anything.

Reactions: JimBear
You sure that's what's making those holes? Looks like a small bug for such a big hole.
I wouldn't worry about it either...it might take 6 months or so, but once the wood starts drying good, most wood eating bugs move on...

I had these insects on my woodpile (mostly locust) a few years ago and came to the same conclusion you did. Then I learned they a wasp (ichneumon, I believe) and they are actually going after the wood boring caterpillars that are still in the wood. They lay eggs on the borers and their young eat them. These little guys are your friends, so don't hurt them!

plus they won't eat much until it finally gets cold and you burn the wood

you people are crazy---I am getting there---I made a few friends with some kind of a wasp nest and just watched them all summer and now they are gone but never attempted to sting me..It was very interesting and i would at this time not worry about the wood being eaten because it is a drying wood and they will leave I think--not sure--and I would not spray it as well..clancey

They showed up a week or two ago. They are drilling holes all over my stack of mulberry. It was cut and stacked (no cover) in March. They haven't touched the dry wood stacks nearby only the greener stuff. You can literally hear them working inside the splits. Sounds weird! The flying insect is about 1/2 inch long. It is shiny black except for its hind segment which varies from dark to light red. The holes are 1/8 to 1/4 inch in size. Some holes are round some are oblong.
I don't want to spray my woodpile with insecticide, but I definitely don't want them attacking the other 10 plus cords of dry wood either. Should I be concerned or just let nature have its course?

View attachment 280371View attachment 280373View attachment 280374View attachment 280375View attachment 280372 View attachment 280376
I believe those are powder post beetles, the lifecycle is almost two years, I doubt if you'll lose much wood to them.
I actually sprayed my hickory stacks as I had a few that started drilling, by the time the wood gets to stove there won't be an issue. If you want the name of the stuff I used it's Bifen It. Do it yourself pest control good stuff.

nice pictures ohlongarm it's hard to believe that little insect can make that much noise

Looks like a Horntail Wasp. They will make a powdered mess in your wood pile.

Looks like a Horntail Wasp. They will make a powdered mess in your wood pile.
Nothing makes a mess in my wood pile once it’s moved in to the wood room.

Bifenthrin is extremely effective and long lasting. What also works well is just dusting the stacks every once in a while with Borax when you are stacking them. The stuff last forever and not very harmful but very effective on insects.

"I believe those are powder post beetles, "
Do you seriously not know the difference between a beetle and a wasp?

"I believe those are powder post beetles, "
Do you seriously not know the difference between a beetle and a wasp?
Lol, I had to use google to verify, I was having troubling seeing the bug, thought it was a carpenter ant with wings at first then looked up the horntail wasp and that looks like a better match.