Help identify this Fisher stove

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Maddenfantasy

Nov 17, 2023
Flemingsburg ky
Hi all, I’ve struggled for years to identify the exact stove I have. When I bought it, I was told it was a poppa bear, but I’m very unsure of this. I done some research in the past but this was years ago. I’ve been building my own home for 6 years now it’s time to get my fisher stove put in. But I’m being held up by not knowing what Fisher I have as I need new fire bricks. I’d appreciate any help, this page is fantastic! Thanks

6B2F6E18-BCD5-4E18-A5CC-513A04314A27.jpeg 3C71BE8F-9752-40ED-AD8A-CE87534F9068.jpeg AC0FAD4C-1712-4D7E-AFFF-EDDFFC356E67.jpeg

Grandpa Bear I.

Papa is the largest single door stove of the Bear Series.

The Fisher home page has a sticky section at top. Starting with the Everything Fisher thread will identify any Fisher Stove. Then progress to the Fireplace Series details thread for your model.

Start here;

Firebrick replacement is dirty, but not difficult. Draw the direction of the bottom bricks from original installation.

Cracked bricks are fine, missing pieces or missing bricks need to be replaced.

Remove all bricks and clean thoroughly. I vacuum and wipe with a damp rag to remove every trace of every crumb. It needs to be perfectly clean with nothing in between bricks when installing them.

Start at left rear corner with full bricks installed across back. Tilt to fit under the brick retainers at top. Cut the last one at right rear corner if necessary. Score with masonry blade in circular saw and snap easily. They are softer and cut easier than regular red brick.

Next place bricks down sides starting at rear to front. Tilting under retainers at top, cut the last one at front.

Place bricks across bottom to hold the bottom of rear and side bricks.

Make a couple smaller fires to remove excess moisture from new brick.

Grandpa Bear I.

Papa is the largest single door stove of the Bear Series.

The Fisher home page has a sticky section at top. Starting with the Everything Fisher thread will identify any Fisher Stove. Then progress to the Fireplace Series details thread for your model.

Start here;

Firebrick replacement is dirty, but not difficult. Draw the direction of the bottom bricks from original installation.

Cracked bricks are fine, missing pieces or missing bricks need to be replaced.

Remove all bricks and clean thoroughly. I vacuum and wipe with a damp rag to remove every trace of every crumb. It needs to be perfectly clean with nothing in between bricks when installing them.

Start at left rear corner with full bricks installed across back. Tilt to fit under the brick retainers at top. Cut the last one at right rear corner if necessary. Score with masonry blade in circular saw and snap easily. They are softer and cut easier than regular red brick.

Next place bricks down sides starting at rear to front. Tilting under retainers at top, cut the last one at front.

Place bricks across bottom to hold the bottom of rear and side bricks.

Make a couple smaller fires to remove excess moisture from new brick.
Thanks Coaly, it’s amazing how much knowledge you have about these fisher stoves. They are very interesting. I have another question, I’m looking to to buy almost all brand new brick for this Grandpa 1. The current struggle is knowing the exact dimensions of the fire bricks to purchase, and the exact number. I’ve been reading the threads, I wanted to find it on my own before reaching out.

They are commonly called splits, since they are half the thickness of a full firebrick for fireplace lining.

They measure 4 1/2 x 9 x 1 1/4 thick.

I can give you what they are supposed to be, given on the original prints, but that doesn’t mean every fabricator made the stove body to the same dimensions. Each had their own way of doing things for different reasons, so dimensions can vary. Always measure.

Back; 5 full - one 4 5/16 X 9

Each Side; Starting at rear, four stand up on each side and one 2 9/16 X 9 stood up at front to fill space to front wall.

Bottom 8 full - starting at left rear corner, place 2 lengthwise across stove leaving space along right side edge. They will also not reach the front leaving a space across front as well.
Fill in right side bottom with four 4 1/2 X 6 5/16
Fill in across front bottom with two 2 9/16 X 9 and one 2 9/16 X 6 5/16.

This gives the number of bricks needed, as I stated, start at left rear using full bricks, and you find out if the last in the back row needs to be cut. Finish back row.

Then start at rear of sides working forward and you will find if the front brick size needed matches what is called for.

Then finish by laying floor, left rear across stove to right, making one to fit the right rear corner. Fill in your yr rest of bottom.

Once you do it, it goes fairly easy. Your stove is easier than a deep Papa Bear that you can’t reach all the way to the rear of easily.