help Identifying insert

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

john26

Minister of Fire
Oct 27, 2008
Wildwood MO
Anyone have an idea on the make and or model of this insert. I am trying to look at it this weekend owners are not sure what it is.
FP insert.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Anyone have an idea on the make and or model of this insert. I am trying to look at it this weekend owners are not sure what it is.
View attachment 247283
After much exhaustive research I think its an Enviro Kodaik not sure what size yet. If it is would this be worth $200? Or should I just set my Vermont Casting Intrped on the hearth?

Are you sure? If it's an Enviro then it's an older version of a Kodiak. The current door is larger and less arched. Kodiaks come with different sized fireboxes. Do you know which size this is? Do you have any interior shots of the firebox? Does it have a secondary combustion system? If not, then pass.

Enviro makes a quality stove. If this insert is indeed a Kodiak with secondary combustion tubes and if it's in good condition, fits your fireplace and your needs then the price is good.

Last edited:
Looks like an older Napoleon 1402. Could possibly be a different model number depending on its age.

Reactions: begreen
Good guess, maybe a Napoleon 1401?

I looked at it yesterday no indication of brand or age no markings at all. The house appeared to be much newer than the insert. The owner said the company that removed it didn't pull anything out of the chimney probably a slammer install. Anyway it had squirrel cage blower motors on each side a lever on the that bottom slid out marked "HI LOW". It did take air in under the stove up the back and across the top front to rear thru a piece of rectangular tubing with multiple holes in each side in pairs of two that I guess is the secondary burn. After looking my guess was older Napoleon also.

Last edited:
fpinsert2.jpg
oh here is a pic she sent me installed. after further research it is a 1402 Napoleon it was in overall good shape 1 firebrick on the back wall cracked in all worth $200?

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: webby3650
The 1402 is a good, medium-sized insert. If there is no more damage than a cracked brick, that is a very good price.

Thank you Webby and Begreen I appreciate the help. I am picking it up tonight for $75.

I am picking it up tonight for $75.
Now that is almost stealing it! There is a fair amount of info here on the 1402 in older posts.

Picked it up this afternoon 3 cracked bicks on the back wall and bricks under thee door are rounded off the baffles are intact and in good shape. Its a little dirty may need to be cleaned but should be a good upgrade from my VC Intrepid I was going to install.

Reactions: Jan Pijpelink
Nice find. Bricks are really cheap. Did it come with a liner by chance?

no liner I asked the the woman if they pulled out a large tube or pipe she said no. They had a reputable company install gas logs they may have left it in if the had one. I did not see there fireplace the insert was waiting in the garage but the picture she sent me looks like a pre fab. From the looks of the insert it had pipe or liner at one time in the flue collar.

Wildwood Missouri western edge of St Louis county

Thanks, not new to wood burning just new to fireplace inserts I heated my old house completely with a woodchuck 2900